• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

abandonment I hope?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

rattlesnakeanni

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Idaho

okay where to start.. I am divorced with 2 children from that marriage. Remarried now for 11 years, 2 additional children and we are a happy family of 6. My 2 childrens biological father was given limited visitation every other weekend 8 am Saturday to 6pm Sunday. every other weekend and thats it. He has not made contact with us (children and I) since 1998. He also did not pay child support in that time until March of 2009 when the state of Idaho found him at the job the he decided not to quit when they did find him. So I have been getting child support since March...he is over 100,000behind. My husband and I filed for a simple name change and after not being able to find us for 13 years the ex shows up and denies it. My kids are now 15 and 14. The ex asked them to give him a chance to get to know them and in a year if they feel that they still want a name change he will give them his blessings. He called once, made plans to take the kids to lunch, promised to buy them new saddles and then never showed up to take them to lunch when they asked his sister to go with them because they have been in contact with her for the last7 years and were a little nervous about the meeting. that was over 3 weeks ago not a word from him since. My husband is fed up as I am to. He has always loved these kids as his own adn wanted them to make thier own decisions**************now they want to be adopted by him and he wants too.. what is my best way and most efficient way in doing this. Are they old enough to make that choice...will I have a long court battle ahead HELP

Isis1

given that dad pays child support, and since his contact was recent, the it's not abandonment now. you had your window. AT LEAST 12 years ago.

anything at this point is contested. not to be done without an attorney.

Isis1

so if he contest in anyway...we have no options.. no matter what his history is or age of children?
if dad contests, then you get an attorney. it can be done, but it will get long and expensive.

one thing though, when dad wanted to re-establish the relationship and wanted to bring their sister along, was that dad's daughter? or your daughter?

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Idaho

okay where to start.. I am divorced with 2 children from that marriage. Remarried now for 11 years, 2 additional children and we are a happy family of 6. My 2 childrens biological father was given limited visitation every other weekend 8 am Saturday to 6pm Sunday. every other weekend and thats it. He has not made contact with us (children and I) since 1998. He also did not pay child support in that time until March of 2009 when the state of Idaho found him at the job the he decided not to quit when they did find him. So I have been getting child support since March...he is over 100,000behind. My husband and I filed for a simple name change and after not being able to find us for 13 years the ex shows up and denies it. My kids are now 15 and 14. The ex asked them to give him a chance to get to know them and in a year if they feel that they still want a name change he will give them his blessings. He called once, made plans to take the kids to lunch, promised to buy them new saddles and then never showed up to take them to lunch when they asked his sister to go with them because they have been in contact with her for the last7 years and were a little nervous about the meeting. that was over 3 weeks ago not a word from him since. My husband is fed up as I am to. He has always loved these kids as his own adn wanted them to make thier own decisions**************now they want to be adopted by him and he wants too.. what is my best way and most efficient way in doing this. Are they old enough to make that choice...will I have a long court battle ahead HELP

So why couldn't he find you for 13 years? Please tell us.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
You know...in four short years, this will become much easier. It's really not that long to wait (in a big-picture sort of way)

rattlesnakeanni

if dad contests, then you get an attorney. it can be done, but it will get long and expensive.

one thing though, when dad wanted to re-establish the relationship and wanted to bring their sister along, was that dad's daughter? or your daughter?
It is his (dad) sister the childrens aunt

rattlesnakeanni

So why couldn't he find you for 13 years? Please tell us.
we lived 35 miles from him....he did not try the state knew where we were my parents,, his sister adn other daughter were all in contact with us. If I bumped into him while shopping in his town he would physically run out of the store.. one time i crabbed his shopping cart and said hello. he asked how the kids were i showed him pictures and he never once asked to see them.. my thinking is it is not up to me to make him a good parent...or person. My current husband has always supported these children emotionally and financially..no help at all from him. The father was even jailed for not paying

your absolutely right its just hard on my kids they want our last name not his...we are the family!!
A last name isn't what makes a family. Junior has a different last name from me and it isn't even an issue. He knows he is loved very much by me, but that at birth, I gave him his father's last name. You couldn't find a tighter "family" if you tried.

A name doesn't define who you guys are as a "family."

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">