• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Virginia DMV requiring payment of $500 because i removed unused vehicle from insuranc

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

vadriver2009

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Virginia

I removed my vehicle from my insurance since no one was using it.

I was traveling and when I got back I found two notices regarding this.

1st notice dated 10/9 - requiring me to show proof of insurance or pay the uninsured motor vehicle fee

2nd notice dated 11/19 - telling me that if i dont show proof of insurance before or by 11/8 on the vehicle in question that i have to pay the DMV a $500 statutory fee and have an automobile liabilty company file form sr-22.

Or my license will be suspended including any DMV privelages.

I want return the tags or put new insurance but the DMV reps keep telling me the only option is to pay the $500 fine.

Please help

ecmst12

You DO have to pay the fine, you committed the offense. If you want to take insurance off a car that isn't being driven, you must turn in the tags FIRST.

FlyingRon

It is absolutely required that you have insurance of be covered by the UMV fee at all times your car is registered in Virginia, *EVEN IF IT IS NOT BEING DRIVEN*. You have to pay the fine now regardless of whether you insure the car or turn in the tags.

ecmst12

Insurance in VA is ridiculously cheap (compared to where I live anyway) and even minimum coverage is pretty good. No excuse for not having it.

vadriver2009

Thanks for the responses

thank you all for the responses. yeah i should have just kept the insurance on, guess i figured the car wasn't being used and i was planning on having it on my driveway. but i have a better understanding of the rules now.

now i have to pay to play

good by 500 wing wangs

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">