• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

getting personal property/violation of O.P.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M

Madison7

I have a no contact order of protection against my ex-boyfriend from the state of Tn. He violated that order by emailing me and I reported it to the police here in Az. They said it was a misdemeanor and they wouldn't do anything. What makes the violation a misdemeanor instead of a felony? Also, he still has 90% of my personal belongings. I couldn't take everything at once and he said I could come back later to get the rest. When I returned at a later date he wouldn't allow me in the house. How do I get the rest of my stuff. I don't want community property I just want my things. The attempts to regain property were before the order was in affect. My order ends in September and I would prefer to get my things befor the order ends.

T

TBTN

if you need to get your personal things from your ex, get the local sherrif in his home state to come with you to get your personal belongings, the sherrif would ask him to step outside while you go in his apt to get personal belongings.

M

Madison7

I've already tried that but the local police said they couldn't do that. They wouldn't go with me, so what do I do next?

T

TBTN

I'm surprised that the local police can't go with you to your ex's house to get your personal properties.If you have a lawyer, try get his/her help to get your personal propetry maybe even get a court order to have a police officer to accompany you to your ex's place to retrieve your personal property.

M

Madison7

Unfortunatly I can't afford a lawyer and the last time he needed to be served w/an order he avoided the police for months. He hides from them so they can't serve him. I only got lucky when he was pulled over for speeding. I guess I'm pretty much screwed and I just have to write everything off as a loss.

U

ulooz

Hiya~ I don't know how it is in TN, but here in N.C.(After I left "our" home with our three babies)to enter the house WITHOUT permission, or to remove anything but clothing (without permission, of course~)constituted criminal trespass. That seemed pretty amazing to me, as we left because my husband threatened us with knives and loaded guns, and lined the children up against the wall (they were 5,4,& 2 at the time), pointed a loaded gun at his head, and told them to stand there and watch what they forced him to do......go figure.....

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">