• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Parents home

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

scrapper

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California

My wife's parents had put their home in trust naming my wife. After their deaths the title was in her name only. We are thinking of divorce and my question is, is the house consider community property?

LdiJ

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California

My wife's parents had put their home in trust naming my wife. After their deaths the title was in her name only. We are thinking of divorce and my question is, is the house consider community property?
No, an inheritance is separate property. However, there could be some marital interest if any marital funds were spent on maintaining the home. However, the clock wouldn't start ticking on that until the home went into her name. The full market value as of the date of inheritance would be her separate property.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">