• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Assets question

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Hotshot1121

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Florida

I have a child with my ex fiance, we were never married. We broke up, she is the CP (as i'm going thorough the police academy right now). We don't have any court cases or anything up yet. Long as I pay when I can and see my daughter shes happy.

My question, is my new girlfriend, lives out of state at the moment going to a university. She wants to set up a joint savings account with 5k in it for us. So when shes done, we can find a place of our own and for emergencies as well.

If she puts that 5k into a joint account with my name on it. Would I have to show it as an asset, even though none of the money will be mine? If I have to show it, will it be used against me or is it safe because its not my money at all.

LdiJ

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Florida

I have a child with my ex fiance, we were never married. We broke up, she is the CP (as i'm going thorough the police academy right now). We don't have any court cases or anything up yet. Long as I pay when I can and see my daughter shes happy.

My question, is my new girlfriend, lives out of state at the moment going to a university. She wants to set up a joint savings account with 5k in it for us. So when shes done, we can find a place of our own and for emergencies as well.

If she puts that 5k into a joint account with my name on it. Would I have to show it as an asset, even though none of the money will be mine? If I have to show it, will it be used against me or is it safe because its not my money at all.
Why in the heck would your new girlfriend open a joint account and put 5k in it? Why in the world would you allow her to do that? Why wouldn't you be insisting that she keep HER money, in HER name?

Hotshot1121

In case of emergencies while shes away, shes thinking in terms of having cash on hand when something comes up. As well as moving expenses, for when she gets done, so we can move else where in the state.

She'd like to have the savings account with both of our names in it. I wouldn't mind if it makes her happy, long as its safe and sound.

LdiJ

In case of emergencies while shes away, shes thinking in terms of having cash on hand when something comes up. As well as moving expenses, for when she gets done, so we can move else where in the state.

She'd like to have the savings account with both of our names in it. I wouldn't mind if it makes her happy, long as its safe and sound.
She can have her money in her own name and still have it available for anything she needs. It would be totally dishonorable for you to allow her to put any of HER money, in your name.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
It just doesn't make sense...red flags popped up all over my screen after reading the new GF's suggestion.

Let me guess - she wants YOU to set up the account and put the money in it because she can't do it right now (for whatever reason)...right?

As you were told...keep things separate. There is NO reason not to.

ETA: In the off-chance that this is a LEGIT proposal from the GF...have her set the acct up in her name. Then, when you do move out and establish a joint household, she can add you to the account.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">