• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

any advice injured passanger

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

scotti

I live in roseville, ca. I was a passenger in a accident where the other driver was clearly at fault (he ran a red light) several witnesses said he was driving to fast. My question? My father was driving He and I both have AAA auto insurance completly seperate accounts, I was taken in ambulance and x-rayed in E.R. I was slammed against door of truck my Ribs and back were extremely painfull along with sore knee and headache with dizziness i wanted to vomit but couldn't I now have a swollen left coller bone that i did not notice untill i got home the neck coller restraint put on by the emt at the scene was in the way of feeling that area. To my suprise the x-rays showed no injuries. I was released with a priscription for vicodin. I have no medical insurance, Should i get an attorny? it has only been 1 day since accident, also my dad received a broken wrist,will my dads insurance represent me? i have not seen police report yet and i dont know if other driver has insurance. he had amneisa at the time. Am i intitled to compensation for my injuries even though no visable signs other than a swollen coller bone area? Would you recommend i get an attorny? thankyou for any advice?

JETX

Should i get an attorny? it has only been 1 day since accident
Way, WAY too early.
File a claim with the other drivers insurance and see how they handle it. If they don't take care of the matter, then you might consider retaining counsel.

Am i intitled to compensation for my injuries even though no visable signs other than a swollen coller bone area?
Oh no!!! Another "did I win the legal lottery?' person!!!

Okay, lets they this again (already covered dozens/hundreds of times on this forum).
As a victim of a car accident and solely due to the fault of someone else, you are 'entitled' to:
1) Reimbursement for your ACTUAL medical expenses.
2) Depending on the FULL facts, possibly the ACTUAL amount of lost wages.
3) Depending on the FULL facts, possibly some amount for 'pain and suffering'.

pain and suffering
n. the physical and mental distress suffered from an injury, including actual broken bones and internal ruptures, but also the aches, pain, temporary and permanent limitations on activity, potential shortening of life, depression and embarrassment from scarring, all of which are part of the "general damages" recoverable by someone injured by another's negligence or intentional attack. The dollar value of damages for pain and suffering is subjective, as distinguished from medical bills, future medical costs and lost wages which can be calculated, called "special damages."

Would you recommend i get an attorny?
Already asked, and answered, above.

ecmst12

You need to see a DOCTOR before you see a lawyer. If you don't feel better in a few days, you might need physical therapy or chiropractic care to help you heal. Your injuries are of the soft tissue variety, they won't show on x-rays. They may get better on their own or they may not.

As far as the bills go, if you or your dad have Medical Payments coverage on your insurance (a MUST if you don't have health insurance but somehow I doubt you have it anyway), that will pay your medical bills (to be reimbursed by the other insurance company when the claim is complete). If you do not have this coverage available, YOU will have to pay your bills up front. After all treatment is complete and you are feeling better, THEN you submit everything to the other driver's insurance at once, and they make one payment which would cover your bills and a small amount for pain and suffering.

Since your dad has a much more serious injury (broken bone) it would benefit HIM to speak to a lawyer for sure.

If you were slammed against the door, that sounds like you weren't wearing a seat belt. That won't affect your claim, but it sure was dumb.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">