• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Mobile homes not mobile?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

phylliswright

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Tennessee

My Husband, Son and I entered into a land purchase contract for three lots 29, 30 and 31. We placed my mothers mobile home on the land, pretty much in the center, in Oct 2002. My son defaulted on his payments a few months later. Nothing was ever said about my mothers mobile home until 7 years later when the land was resold. The person who bought it says he bought the land (thats all the owner sold him, since it is news to all of us that it is not actually on OUR remaining lots) and therefore he owns the mobile home. He claims it is a permanent fixture and can not be moved. It is my mothers mobile home, which she has a mortgage on. We never signed over any land with it, even when we owned lot 31, so I don't see how it can be considered a permanent home. The plan never was to let the mobile home styay there forever only as long as she lived since she does not have mortgage insurance and we did not want to have to pay for her home should she pass away. According to the new owner of lot 31 she is on his land anyway. My mother is 73 and does not have the means to fight him nor do we, since we are paying rent and land payments for the remaining two lots. Is there hope or is this man trying to trick her into giving up her home to him??What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

ucf

Ok so was the trailer on the lot he bought? it wasn't really clear in your post.

Speaking broadly he might have a case. Some states allow mobile homes to become permanent fixtures, some do not. I would check with your city/county as they may have an ordinance that directly relates to this. Things line being attached to a foundation may make it permenant.

Miranda79

Is there any way you can move her mobile home onto one of the lots you own? Would there be room, side by side to put her there maybe? Because he owns the land now, she is trespassing on it and has no legal right to be there. He can have her removed.

I would just move the mobile home on to land you own.

Miranda79

Property (Fixture and Non-Fixture): in a real estate contract, the property is the land within the legally described boundaries and all permanent structures and fixtures. Ownership of the property confers the legal right to use the property as allowed within the law and within the restrictions of zoning or easements. Fixture property refers to those items permanently attached to the structure, such as carpeting or a ceiling fan, which transfers with the property.

I hope her home truly is "mobile." I would just move it and if the man is so heartless to go after a little old lady for her home, let him sue.

csi7

Find a way to move the home onto your actual marked property. In the mobile home park where we used to live, the axles, tires, and front hitch had to stay on the mobile home so that the home could be moved. You will have to have utility line service done to keep your mother's home livable in the place where it is moved. Septic tank service as well. Long after the lawsuit is settled, you will be neighbors, so good luck with it!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">