• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Back again bit this time I have ?? for a friend

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Mi

A friend of mine is a Mexican citizen. She has been married to her American husband for 15 years. She never considered American citizenship because there was something to do with some land in Mexico and if she had become a citizen, she would of gave up her rights to it. This was not family related but something the government was doing...(I really don't know all the details regarding this).

Anyways, their marriage is in trouble. Her husband is an alcoholic (and despite this, a friend of mine also. We were neighbors and my stbx and I have been on vacas with them etc.) and things have gotten much worse with him. It's to the point that she has now turned from him because he refuses to get help or acknowledge that he has a problem. Instead of seeking counseling, he now threatens her that if they don't have sex by such and such date, that they are through and if she gets her own lawyer instead of "going along with HIS lawyer" that she will "have it really, really bad". He is being very very verbally abusive with his threats. He is dragging the two children into their arguments, to the point that they are so confused about whose side to take. (they are 9 and 6). He is threatening that he will quit work, not pay the house payments etc etc. His mother has been divorced three times and I believe that she is enticing him to be this way as everyone of her divorces was nasty and she did get away with hiding money etc.

Needless to say, she is scared, very scared and a bit niave given she really doesn't know if he can do things or not so she thinks that she must do these things or lose everything. As I have learned here and have told her, alot of his threats are baseless. But I have also told her that I do not know how her immigration status plays into all of this. If anyone here could arm me with the knowledge I need to help her I sure would appreciate it.

I know that she will need a lawyer, but I was wondering if anyone could tell me initially, what she may be faced with given her status.

Thanks again,
crazyeights

Last edited:

LdiJ

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Mi

A friend of mine is a Mexican citizen. She has been married to her American husband for 15 years. She never considered American citizenship because there was something to do with some land in Mexico and if she had become a citizen, she would of gave up her rights to it. This was not family related but something the government was doing...(I really don't know all the details regarding this).

Anyways, their marriage is in trouble. Her husband is an alcoholic (and despite this, a friend of mine also. We were neighbors and my stbx and I have been on vacas with them etc.) and things have gotten much worse with him. It's to the point that she has now turned from him because he refuses to get help or acknowledge that he has a problem. Instead of seeking counseling, he now threatens her that if they don't have sex by such and such date, that they are through and if she gets her own lawyer instead of "going along with HIS lawyer" that she will "have it really, really bad". He is being very very verbally abusive with his threats. He is dragging the two children into their arguments, to the point that they are so confused about whose side to take. (they are 9 and 6). He is threatening that he will quit work, not pay the house payments etc etc. His mother has been divorced three times and I believe that she is enticing him to be this way as everyone of her divorces was nasty and she did get away with hiding money etc.

Needless to say, she is scared, very scared and a bit niave given she really doesn't know if he can do things or not so she thinks that she must do these things or lose everything. As I have learned here and have told her, alot of his threats are baseless. But I have also told her that I do not know how her immigration status plays into all of this. If anyone here could arm me with the knowledge I need to help her I sure would appreciate it.

I know that she will need a lawyer, but I was wondering if anyone could tell me initially, what she may be faced with given her status.

Thanks again,
crazyeights
Her immigration status does not effect her rights in a divorce, although it could effect child custody.

She honestly needs an attorney to whom she can confide the entire situation and get good legal advice. She also needs that attorney to represent her in court.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">