• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Falsifying a police report

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

RBS_22

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Ohio

Ok, My girlfriends dad had the police sent to our house because we were arguing. Before the police got there the argueing had stopped because I ended up leaving. Now after I had left the house the police arrive and question my girlfriend about what happend. She tells them that I came in yelling, pushed her around and that I left. Now they have charged me with two counts of domestic violence. What she says not only didnt happend it's a blatant lie. Now with all that has come about from her lie she is willing to tell the judge she lied. What will that do for me and what kind of trouble is she looking at? :confused:

CdwJava

Understand that in some 75%+ of all DV cases, the victim recants. In these instances the victim will claim to have lied to the police, claim that the police misunderstood what they MEANT to say, or even claim the police made the whole thing up and they never said what is attributed to them. The prosecutor likely expects your girlfriend to change her story.

Now, that being said, in some states and counties, prosecutors are reluctant to go ahead with cases where the victim goes sideways on them. So, her changing her tale might help you. On the other hand, it might also land her in jail for making a false police report. The prosecutor, and the police, in particular, dislike wasting their time on liars and might decide to prosecute HER for making a false report and wasting their time.

Since no one can predict what WILL happen, you should probably consult legal counsel who can help prepare you for those things that are most likely to happen in your jurisdiction.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">