• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

How if we don't pay for the ticket

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mtaticket

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NY

On the election day (11/03), my little brother, who just hit 16, went under turnstile. He did not intend to take subway. He was sending his friend home and his friend XX dropped a USB drive when XX was about to go downstairs to take a train. My brother did not bring any ID cards, cellphone or money with him. He shout at his friend XX and tried to stop him, worried someone else might step on the little USB Drive, so he went under turnstile...

He was caught by a cop. Both my brother and his friend tried to explain the situation to the police. He did not listen and gave a $100 ticket to my brother for going under the turnstile.

My brother only carried a key and an unreadable dentist business card with foreign characters on it, but in the front of the card my brother's name was written in blue ink. My brother answered all the questions asked by the cop, except tell him his social security number because he can't remember.

I am having this ticket in front of me now. I promised my brother to help him dispute the ticket. I just realized in order to do that I need to reply within 15days....It seems too late to reply now and he may need to attend a court hearing on Dec. 1st.

Should we attend the court hearing or just ignore the whole thing ? When I heard the story from my brother I just felt it is so ridiculous. He was caught without an ID card. How can everything be proved ? Does the cop caught my brother's fingerprint when the time the cop recorded everything ?
If not, I am curious how cops or the Transit Adjudication Bureau follows it up without a social security number.
If we don't pay, what will happen to my brother ?

Please advise me. Thank you very much for any of your helps.

Last edited:

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I'm willing to bet that your little brother is guilty of the offense he was charged with. Of course, that's just a guess since you didn't actually tell us what he was charged with.

He should NOT ignore this...it won't just go away...

On the election day (11/03), my little brother, who just hit 16, went under turnstile. He did not intend to take subway. He was sending his friend home and his friend XX dropped a USB drive when XX was about to go downstairs to take a train. My brother did not bring any ID cards, cellphone or money with him. He shout at his friend XX and tried to stop him, worried someone else might step on the little USB Drive, so he went under turnstile...

He was caught by a cop. Both my brother and his friend tried to explain the situation to the police. He did not listen and gave a $100 ticket to my brother.

My brother only carried a key and an unreadable dentist business card with foreign characters on it, but in the front of the card my brother's name was written in blue ink. My brother answered all the questions asked by the cop, except tell him his social security number because he can't remember.

I am having this ticket in front of me now. I promised my brother to help him dispute the ticket. I just realized in order to do that I need to reply within 15days....It seems too late to reply now and he may need to attend a court hearing on Dec. 1st.

Should we attend the court hearing or just ignore the whole thing ? When I heard the story from my brother I just felt it is so ridiculous. He was caught without an ID card. How can everything be proved ? Does the cop caught my brother's fingerprint when the time the cop recorded everything ?
If not, I am curious how cops or the Transit Adjudication Bureau follows it up without a social security number.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee

He was caught by a cop. Both my brother and his friend tried to explain the situation to the police. He did not listen and gave a $100 ticket to my brother.

You plan to help him dispute the ticket? So what do you plan to do because quite frankly if you are not an attorney you can find yourself tagged for UPL. If you want to help your brother, hire him an attorney.
Your brother did an improper and illegal thing. He is NOT allowed to go under the turnstile. That is against the law. If he wanted into that portion of the subway then he gets to pay for the privilege. If your brother doesn't show up, a warrant will be issued for his arrest. He will then face more serious problems. If you want to help your brother, make sure he gets to court on time. Make sure he is dressed appropriately. Make sure he speaks politely.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">