• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Certified, RRR letter not accepted

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

usafdrew

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? GA

So I sent my neighbor a certified, RRR letter telling her to trim back her vines growing up the side of my home and to stop messing with the side of my home in general. She has refused to accept the letter 3 separate times so it was returned to me. I think she knew what the letter was about, that's why.

What does one do if they want to put someone on notice the legal way, but the message is never received?

Thanks.

Banned_Princess

So I sent my neighbor a certified, RRR letter telling her to trim back her vines growing up the side of my home and to stop messing with the side of my home in general. She has refused to accept the letter 3 separate times so it was returned to me. I think she knew what the letter was about, that's why.

What does one do if they want to put someone on notice the legal way, but the message is never received?

Thanks.
Well, you should keep the unopened, returned mail.

You can post the note on the door with a picture of it.

You can send a regular letter, that wont come back.

You can do all three.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
When you send a CRRR letter, you should ALSO send a letter regular first-class (proof of mailing would be good). Make sure you reference the fact that it was sent both ways.

As for the vines...cut them yourself if they're on your property. Kind of like a tree that has branches hanging over your property.

FarmerJ

Certificate of mailing is the next step up from regular first class, you get to fill out a area on the form with sender name and address and to whom your sending it to , no one has to sign for it , the same way confirmed delivery works just certificate of mailing is less than confirmed delivery. certificate of mailing gives you a reciept canceled by USPS showing to whom you sent something in mail to , confirmed gives reciept showing it was delivered, I never had a court refuse my certificate of mailing reciepts as proof of having sent something to tenants when I had rentals ,If you send another copy of the original notice one of the two ways I suggest , between the reciepts and the un opened one you have attempted to send if this had to be stepped up to civil court eventually I can see your nieghbor having one heck of a time explaining why they could not arrange to pick up the first one and sign for it let alone any claim of not getting the second one, I would suggest considering sending a copy via certificate of mailing and one more via confirmed mail delivery WHY because out of three attemps to notify her If she denied getting any notice when two more were sent via giving you reciepts for each I doubt a court would believe any claim she made of not getting notice , yes its extra duplication BUT she will get the noticesand will only embaress her self eventually in a court claiming anything otherwise.

justalayman

Thanks.
when the vines are on your side, they are yours. You can do what you want with them.

Depending on what she is doing to your house, you might want to call the police and make a trespassing or vandalism report.

csi7

Is there a definitive line of property showing where your house begins and the neighbor's house ends? Anything on your side you can remove. Just do the certified mail all the ways mentioned previously to provide documentation that you did attempt to communicate with this neighbor about the vine issue. Make a timeline of all the actions you took, including the refusal by the neighbor to accept the certified letter you mentioned. By having your information set up in presentation form, documentation included, you have the advantage in case the vine dies after the removal from your side.

you want the vines down? remove them if they are on your property. Call the police when she trespasses and bothers your home and get a report. Them you can take her to small claims court if there are damages and the unopened letter is for your showing or defense if needed.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">