• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Forging a birth certificate

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

amcelhare

Wisconsin

When I was 16 I wanted to apply for my first job. I didn't like that at that age you had to get a work permit from school, could only work so many hours, etc. Instead I complained to my parents and they helped me forge my birth certificate. My mom scanned it onto the computer and changed the "3" in "83" to "80" and printed it out on a color printer so I would look a few years older.

I took the certificate with me when I ran away. (Abuse -I never came back). It was my only form of ID and the next year when I had a baby I applied for state benefits using the birth certificate for identification.(I was 17) Of course I couldnt tell them my real situation as they would have found out I was a runaway, etc.

I recieved benefits for a couple of months and then was able to support myself. About 3 years later I needed them again, so went in to apply. This time I put my real birthdate on the form. When I went in to talk to the worker she said "Your birthday is 1980, why is 83 on the form?" So I got really scared and lied and said "oops, whats was I thinking, yeah, its 1980".

Anyways fast forward to today. (i'm 26 now) I want to apply for Badgercare (state healthcare) for my daughter really badly, but I am scared. I don't want to lie again, but they are going to notice the birth date discrepancy. I thought about going in and confessing everything to a caseworker and taking what comes, but I don't think they would understand like I am hoping they would. Esp. since its a felony. (I think)

Also, child support still thinks thats my birthdate as well. So I guess it looks like I was defrauding 2 agencies. I can't say its a mistake cause i'm sure they have all the forms still filled out in my handwriting and a copy of the fraudulent birth certificate.

I feel trapped and don't know what to do. Any thought on what would happen if I just went in and confessed?

Sorry this is so long.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">