• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

violation of probation

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

A

aubreyface79

I need some help. I have 2 outstanding warrants in Illinois. In Aug/Sept. of '98 I was charged with felony burglary, but was plea bargained down and convicted of misdemeanor. I was assigned 2 years probation and 100 hours of community service. I completed 1 year of probation and 50 hours of community service before I had to move to Colorado. Additionally, I went back to Illinois in the fall of '99 for a week and was arrested for shoplifting. I was only 19 at the time, and I couldn't afford to return to Illinois to appear in court. I contacted my old probation officer about 2 weeks ago and she informed me that I currently have 2 misdemeanor warrants. I am planning to go back to Illinois this summer to turn myself in, but I am terrified that they will put me in jail. I haven't had any police contact in over 2 years and I have a husband, a 12 month old daughter, and a household that I have to take care of. I am aware that when I go to turn myself in, I will be booked and held until I can get a hearing (which the warrant officer told is usually the same day, or the following day). I don't expect to go unpunished, but I am hopeful that there will be some way to transfer my punishment to Colorado so that I can maintain my home. I have also been working in the same resteraunt for 2 years and I want to apply for a management position, which I can't do until I clear up my legal matters. I intend to go to Illinois with pictures of my home and my family, and letters from my co-workers and managers explaining how valuable I am here in Colorado. I am afraid of spending time in jail, as my husband is in the Army and only gets 2 weeks before he has to report back to Colorado, and he can't care properly for our baby. I need to know what the commom procedure is for someone in my situation, is it likely that the courts will have mercy on me, is there a possibility of transferring my sentence from Illinois to Colorado, are the courts going to find me a "flight risk" and finally, what are my chances of not spending an excessive amout of time in jail?

L

lawrat

Wow. Well, the only thing I can tell you is do not do this on your own. Hire an attorney in the state where you have the warrants and start from there. He/she can answer the questions you have better than anyone on this board.

Call the Illinoi state bar or http://www.attorneypages.com for a criminal defense attorney.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">