• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Water Damage/Mold

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

BrianKJackson

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? CA

Good Afternoon,

My wife and I are in a bit of a bind and I am desperately searching for answers. On Wednesday before Thanksgivinig we discovered water dripping from out Condo's ceiling onto our bed and down the inside of the walls. After calling the HOA's Management Company a plumber was dispatched and the walls and celining of my unit torn open in order to discover where the leak was coming from but at the time of his arrival the leak had stopped and water was no longer falling from my ceiling.

After searching the plumber could not reproduce the leak and declared it a "one time" incident. The HOA then sent a restoration company to my home to fix the wholes created by the plumber. They then discovered "Black Mold" across my entire ceiling (inbetween floors) and told me that my unit was uninhabitable and that the HOA would then contact me.

I took my family to a hotel and asked the HOA management what my options were. The manager told me to settle down and that the work would be handeld by the HOA and I did not have to worry. When I asked about my families lodging while the work was being done, I was told

"I cannot tell you what to do about that, nor can I tell you a hotel is Okay?"

but you can always try to submit a bill to the Board.

My question is this, If they are accepting responsability for the damage to my unit, cleaning it up, fixing the holes, scraping the celings (Asbestos in the Popcorn) Should the HOA also be covering my lodging expenses?

As a side note, I am a young homeowner, and did not get insurance becuase at the time I figured the HOA insurance was all I needed.

Any Advice?

Banned_Princess

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? CA

Good Afternoon,

My wife and I are in a bit of a bind and I am desperately searching for answers. On Wednesday before Thanksgivinig we discovered water dripping from out Condo's ceiling onto our bed and down the inside of the walls. After calling the HOA's Management Company a plumber was dispatched and the walls and celining of my unit torn open in order to discover where the leak was coming from but at the time of his arrival the leak had stopped and water was no longer falling from my ceiling.

After searching the plumber could not reproduce the leak and declared it a "one time" incident. The HOA then sent a restoration company to my home to fix the wholes created by the plumber. They then discovered "Black Mold" across my entire ceiling (inbetween floors) and told me that my unit was uninhabitable and that the HOA would then contact me.

I took my family to a hotel and asked the HOA management what my options were. The manager told me to settle down and that the work would be handeld by the HOA and I did not have to worry. When I asked about my families lodging while the work was being done, I was told

"I cannot tell you what to do about that, nor can I tell you a hotel is Okay?"

but you can always try to submit a bill to the Board.

My question is this, If they are accepting responsability for the damage to my unit, cleaning it up, fixing the holes, scraping the celings (Asbestos in the Popcorn) Should the HOA also be covering my lodging expenses?

As a side note, I am a young homeowner, and did not get insurance becuase at the time I figured the HOA insurance was all I needed.

Any Advice?
Homeowners insurance (or condo insurance) is NECESSARY. Get an insurance agent, and get on insuring your life. !!!!!!!

If there is a fire, the HOA insurance will NOT cover your personal property or any liability you might come upon.

Other then that, HO Insurance (theres a form number, but I forget what it is... google it if you want.) wont cover this anyway, lol, but that doesn't mean you shouldn't have it.

I would do as the lady said and submit the bill when you get back into the place. Wont hurt.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">