• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Unsolved homicide- and much more...

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Big_Debtor

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Colorado

Hi All-

I'm about to approach "The Authorities" (FBI or local PD) with the disclosure that I'm 70% sure a certain homicide has not been solved and that I'm 80% sure I know who's responsible. This happened a few years ago and the heinous nature of what occurred attracted a fair amount of media exposure.

There will be several defendants, who may also have to answer to charges of (large scale?) drug dealing and prostitution. (There may be more on top of that, e.g., organized crime charges.)

There's no way I'm going to stick my neck out for nothing (and I'm sure you've taken note of my UserName...), so I have two questions:

1. How much compensation should I expect? We have a program here called CrimeStoppers, through the local PD, which offers rewards.

2. How do I ensure that I stay anonymous? (Disclosure-wise, I'm not thinking that I'll have to testify in court- I have a source who will.) Would you recommend that I start dealing with a certain high-ranking cop I know?

Thanks and wish me luck!

Big_Debtor

"Free" Advice?

Where does this Web site get its name? "Free" advice?
I've only gotten two responses that indicated- what, I'm
greedy?
Yes, I have valuable information, yes I seek compensation
partly because I'm in debt.
Did you guys hear me? SEVERAL defendants- who could
mess with my life.
Sure looks there are no attorneys here who do anything for free.
You act like you're pro bono...

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
So what do you want for free?

And what do you think pro bono means, if not that you're getting it for free?

Where the HELL did you get the idea that you are entitled to be paid for the information? If your Crimestoppers offers payment, ask THEM.

But don't expect it to be more than a token. You have not won the lottery here.

Big_Debtor

No need to get all mad.

No need to get all mad.
I was led to believe that I'd get a useful opinion here.
Of course I'll ask CrimeStoppers directly. Why wouldn't I?

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
And you got one. You got the opinion that you are not entitled to payment and that any payment you get will be a token payment. Based on programs I am familiar with, if you are really, REALLY lucky, you might get as much as $100. It will most likely be less. You are certainly not going to get a huge windfall by which you can pay off your debts. And as for what you are entitled to; you are entitled to not one red cent.

The reason the responders seem to think you are greedy is that you come across that way.

Antigone*

And you got one. You got the opinion that you are not entitled to payment and that any payment you get will be a token payment. Based on programs I am familiar with, if you are really, REALLY lucky, you might get as much as $100. It will most likely be less. You are certainly not going to get a huge windfall by which you can pay off your debts. And as for what you are entitled to; you are entitled to not one red cent.

The reason the responders seem to think you are greedy is that you come across that way.
A resounding amen to that sista ;)

merc221

What you should really do is stop worrying how this will benefit you and start worrying about the family who has lost someone you can talk to you da about possible witness protection if your that scared but really you just need to do what is right and i hope you do

jsmith416

In all likelihood you will not need to testify and the people you are seeking to implicate will never know it was you. The investigators will confront the suspect(s) with other evidence and try to get a confession. Don't you ever watch The First 48?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">