• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

How do I file for extortion?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Cole.B

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Massachusetts

A neighbor claims to have bitten by my dog and is threatening to have my dog taken away or to sue me if I don't pay his medical bills. he has yet to produce the bills, has no witness and claims my dog bit him on 9:00 am Sunday morning, but, he didn't report the incident to me until Monday afternoon at 5. He never called the police or told anyone else. The dog supposidly was on the sidewalk and bit him on the side walk. The neighbor lives 3 streets away.

Miranda79

You are responsible for keeping your dog contained and if the court found that you were negligent in doing so, you would be found liable for their medical expenses.

If they were to take you to small claims court over this, they have the burden of proof based on the preponderance of the evidence. The fact that they did not file a police report at the time of the incident would be questioned.

However, to protect yourself in the future, in the event that your dog does bite someone else, please try to have your dog contained. If they find your dog to be a threat to society, the judge could order him to be euthanized.

What kind of dog is he? Do you know him to be aggressive?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">