• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Red light accident!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jameyt98

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? South Carolina

I was just involved in an auto accident. I was approaching a red light. Cars were in the left lane and the turning lane. There was no one in the right lane. As I was coming up to the light it turned green. I took my foot off the brake and went on through the light. I was hit in the drivers side by someone coming through the red light.

Once we made sure everyone was okay the lady told me she was sitting in the intersection because someone cut her off and she just went on even though it was red. The police officer is saying that it is my fault because she was already in the intersection and I should have not gone through until she cleared.

I could not see that there was a car in the intersection because of the other cars to my left. The light was green so I went through it. I am getting a ticket for driving too fast for conditions and am going to have to pay for this.

How can this possibly be my fault? I was almost stopped about 3 car lengths back when it turned green and let off the brakes to go on. I was not going fast at all. If she was there shouldn't she have to make sure nothing was coming before she decided to pull on through the red light?

ecmst12

Then it's obvious that YOU were in the intersection first. Report the facts to your insurance company. You can fight the ticket but even if you don't win, you shouldn't be found at fault for the accident by the insurance company.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">