• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Drugs/Felony Evasion/a bunch of other MV charges

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Coldblooded357

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Connecticut
A friend of mine has a warrent for his arrest and a serious drug problem, I'm trying to get him to stop hiding and turn himself in and get help. Here's the story. He was observed buying crack cocaine by West Hartford police. They pulled him over and he gave them his I.D. Then he takes off in the car and escapes the cop. He then ditches the car, which the police find later with the tital with his name on it. The car was not registered or insured to him or at all. He also has no license. The police came to his parents house and told them that they have an arrest warrent for felony evasion and want him to turn himself in. He's hiding probably partialy because he doesn't want to detox in jail. So here's my question. What can he be charged with in addition to evasion. They didn't catch him with the crack and I'm sure that the evidence is up in smoke. Pun intended. Also what is the likely punishment for these crimes. He doesn't have much of a record. A heroin possesion that was dismissed and maybe some prior MV infractions. What should I advise him to do and what can he expect for punishment?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

dave33

Obviously he has the evasion charge. I am sure the cop is pissed, so he may be tempted to get creative with the charges. At this point there is simply no way to tell the full extent of his legal problems.The d.a. has plenty of time to charge him with additional stuff. I would say the possession charge is out the window, but even with that you can't be certain. The best advice you can give (in my opinion) is go to detox and get a lawyer and turn himself in. This will never just go away.I am sure that there was a chase involved, so you never know what kinds of things happened that he may not even be aware of.If he is not on probation than bail is possible.So, at this point if he can get some money together for bail and a lawyer that for now is as good as it is going to get. The lawyer should go with him to turn himself in. The drugs have got to go. Get him into detox and face the music. You are advising correctly,and that is all you can do. After that scenario the police are probably actively searching. Try and basically force him into re-hab and hopefully that will clear up his thought process enough to take care of this.goodluck.

HighwayMan

Super Secret Senior Member
The courts in CT are no joke. He could be charged with alot of things, including attempted assault on a police officer or worse if any officers got hurt by him or while chasing him. He won't know what his charges will be until he gets caught, and he will get caught at some point. He doesn't sound too bright to begin with.

He should just turn himself in and get it over with.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">