• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

vehicle titles in my name

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

gr8beauty1

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? wisconsin

i think im prettymuch screwed on this one, but figure ill ask anyway. my sister (not very responsible) wantd a car. My dad agreed to pay for it, but wanted it titled in my name until she paid him back for it. no big deal. well, she paid him back, told me she titled it, and about 8 months later i started getting tickets, lots of tickets. she told me she would take care of it, which she showed me the paperwork that they were now in her name. the problem is, its now over a year later, and she still hasnt put it in her name. the car is unregistered, has false plates on it, uninsured, not to mention there are now no working break lights or blinkers, the sideview mirrors are gone, rearview mirror is gone,and broken window. i went to the dmv with the bill of sale. they said there is nothing i can do. it has to be registered in somebody's name. is there anything more i can do?

i know, i know, im really dumb for what i did with this too, but my mother asked me to also put a car in her name until december (i didnt know at that time that my sister did not title the other car in her name). i said no prob. she was paying the insurance and i had no car in my name. well, i decided to buy a new car. insurance company informed me if theres an accident in the other vehicle, mine will go up a minimum of $1000/yr. about 2 weeks later i got into an accident with an officer (100%0 his fault). i called my mother and explained to her, i dont want to take any chances. i dont want my insurance going up. i dont want anyone elses resposibilities. i take care of all of my bills and have my situation straight, and im sorry but i cant help her out any longer. she is also refusing to take it out of her name.
am i just stuck?

HighwayMan

Super Secret Senior Member
It must have been registered at some point, whose name was the registration in?

What bill of sale did you take to DMV? Who sold the car and to whom?

gr8beauty1

the car was originally registered and titled in my name. the reason it was in my name was so that if my sister didnt pay my father back for the car, she couldnt have it. as soon as she paid my dad back for the vehicle, i signed the title over to her and we wrote up a bill of sale and both signed it. from there, it was hers, so i thought. But she never titled or registered it, so its still sitting in my name

gr8beauty1

basically, the dmv says if she does not want to go there and pay for a title (like shes supposed to) it is still in my name and theres nothing i can do

HighwayMan

Very kind of your father to hang this on you. He should have put it in his name.

Get a duplicate title if you can't get the other one back and then get rid of the car. If it's still yours then sell it or donate it.

Last edited:

gr8beauty1

im not really blaming him. both him and myself offered to even pay the $30 or whatever it is. Nobody expected that if she wanted the car, she would not put it in her name.
Like i said dumb situation i put myself in. and i learned you cant save everybody, even if its family, but if she gets into an accident, im in trouble

divona2000

...my sister...wantd a car. My dad agreed to pay for it, but wanted it titled in my name...its now over a year later, and she still hasnt put it in her name. the car is unregistered, has false plates on it, uninsured...
...my mother asked me to also put a car...
...i decided to buy a new car. insurance company informed me if theres an accident in the other vehicle, mine will go up a minimum of $1000/yr
...she is also refusing to take it out of her name...
You have got to get both of these problems taken care of now. If your sister or mother get into a wreck (especially in the uninsured car) and maim or kill someone, the insurance cost increasing on your car will be the least of your worries.

gr8beauty1

i know. thats why i was inquiring about what to do. the only things i can think of is to tell them take it out, or i will sell the cars to someone else or report them stolen. that is the hardest thing for me to even say because it is my family, but obviously they arent worried about me, right? i mean i did these favors to help them out and they are just leaving me stuck. I know these were stupid decisions on part, and have now learned from them. i just didnt think family would do this to me

gr8beauty1

if they will not title it, and refuse to give me the vehicle which is then technically mine, it can be considered stolen

HighwayMan

You say you hardly see your sister anymore but do you know where she lives or works?

If you do just take the car - have it towed.

ecmst12

if they will not title it, and refuse to give me the vehicle which is then technically mine, it can be considered stolen
That is not true. She has it because you gave it to her and you know where it is. This is NOT a criminal matter, it's civil and the police will not get involved.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">