• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

How do I get my belongings??

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

crazy_beautiful

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? I live in Delaware, my Dad's wife lives in Pennsylvania.

My question involves estate proceedings in the state of: Pennsylvania

Just a little background information before I start: My father passed away after a very short illness on September 25th, 2008. He left no will & no instructions at all. Him & my mother were divorced & my father was remarried. His wife & I never really got along, but I wasn't expecting my father's illness so we never discussed who gets what if something was to ever happen to him.

I had a few belongings of mine in their house (things that were left to me in my grandparent's wills). My grandfather left (in his will) a stamp collection to me & two of my cousins, which was sold for $1,500 and we split it three ways, so we each got $500. I never received my $500, but my cousins have. Also, I have many savings bonds that I never received (amounting to over $500). My grandfather's will stated that the contents of his house should be divided between his 3 children, their wives, and their children. I got a bed & a chair that have significant sentimental value. But those are being kept in the house where my father & stepmother lived before he passed. My dad also had a storage unit where he kept things of mine from my childhood such as my crib & stuffed animals & pictures.

I was just reading the Intestate Succession in Pennsylvania & it states that if the decedent was survived by his or her spouse and had surviving children, at least one of whom was not also the surviving spouse's child, the surviving spouse will only receive one-half of the estate. Under these circumstances, the surviving spouse would not be entitled to the first $30,000.00 that s/he would have been entitled to had the child(ren) been both of theirs biologically.

Can someone please tell me what options I have to get my money &/or belongings back? I live in Delaware & she lives in Chester County Pennsylvania, how will this affect me? Thanks for any help anyone has.

She called me a few days after my Dad's funeral & told me to come pickup my things, which I wasn't able to do because I would have needed a truck to pick up the bed & the chair & I didn't have access to a truck at the time.

More recently, I've e-mailed her & asked her if I could come pick up my things, called her & asked her & she now claims to know nothing of anything that is due to me.What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">