• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Moving Van Rental -Vadalized

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

mikejewett10@ho

I rented a moving van from a local company. The night I took it home I did one big move out of my apartment then parked the truck in my parking lot to finish the next morning. During the night someone spray painted he side of the truck. When I took the truck back the guy said that he thinks his insurance company would cover it and released the $500.00 deposit back to me. 3 weeks later we needed to move our stuff out of storage and into the new home. I figured since the company I rented from last time handled everything so great last time that I would go back and give them my business. Come to find out that when I called to reserve the truck he wanted to talk to about what happened. They said the truck cost $900.00 to fix and that I was responsible to pay the $500.00 deductable. Once I told him that he did not have authorization to charge my credit card I had a lawyer send him a letter to confirm that. After 3 more weeks of fighting with him he went ahead and made an un-authorized withdrawal from my credit card. Once telling this to the credit company they said that they have up to 6 months to charge me the $500.00 (oh plus he charged me the tax so it came to $565.00). Should I take him to small claims for this? The damage was not my fault. I have filed a police report about the vandalism the day it happened. I believe what he did was illegal and I need some advice on this. My lawyer doesn’t want to say if I should or should not take this to court because he said small claims can go either way. So it would be up to me to decide.

ecmst12

It happened while the truck was in your care. You are responsible for the deductible (though this is not taxable) and the contract you signed for the rental surely indicates this.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">