• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Too late to get money back?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Bloomer

We loaned money to a man back in 2002 for the purchase of a vehicle. He was to make payments back to us, but stopped in 2003 and we were unable to get a hold of him for years. Now, six years later, I was finally able to find him. He still owes $1,400 and has made payments of $400 in August 2009 and $200 in October 2009. Since then, it's been excuse after excuse. I have tons of emails, texts and phone records of conversations and his agreement to pay the remaining $1,400. Is it too late to take him to court with the "new" proof I have of him owing us? This happened in Alaska, but we now reside in Colorado and he's in Arizona.

Last edited:

Bloomer

I read somewhere (and this may depend on which state) that after five years, it's not a case anymore? Any details on that? I'm not sure if that goes off of when the money was issued to him. Thank you!

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I read somewhere (and this may depend on which state) that after five years, it's not a case anymore? Any details on that? I'm not sure if that goes off of when the money was issued to him. Thank you!
Yeah, but you got payments much more recently than that ;)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">