• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Help!!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Bozo-ess

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? MD

I was at an intersection (with no arrow lights) and was taking a left turn. A car moving from north to south hit me on the rear end of the passenger side of my car, which means that I was already on the road i was moving to be on. No one was hurt. The cops gave me a failure to yield ticket. Was it just my fault or was the other car at fault too; considering the fact that I was already (almost) where i wanted to be?

In addition, my insurance had just expired a week ago when the accident happened and I hadn't renewed it. So i have a citation for that too. What are the fines and is there any way I can get a lenient fine ?

Last edited:

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? MD

I was at an intersection (with no arrow lights) and was taking a left turn. A car moving from north to south hit me on the rear end of the passenger side of my car, which means that I was already on the road i was moving to be on. No one was hurt. The cops gave me a failure to yield ticket. Was it just my fault or was the other car at fault too; considering the fact that I was already (almost) where i wanted to be?
So, then vehicle with the right-of-way ran in to the vehicle that failed to yield...what was the question again?

In addition, my insurance had just expired a week ago when the accident happened and I hadn't renewed it.
Don't you just HATE it when that happens?

Bozo-ess

Yeah..the vehicle that was supposed to move hit my car because i failed to yield. How serious are the fines/penalties?

The cop and the person whose car hit me told me that there is atleast one accident per week in that particular intersection.

ecmst12

It's not the fine that's going to get you. It's paying for the damage you caused to his vehicle, and any injuries you caused that will REALLY hit you in the pocketbook.

ciremoto

I recommend Small Claims Court

You need to go to court and present your case. Based upon information I do not recommend formal court. I recommend small claims court. Read NOLOs guide to small claims court. It will guide you through everything you want to know. I do not recommend getting an attorney. Many people overlook small claims court. It's very simple and very easy. The law is on your side but you have to present it. People are afraid of court because they think that it's going to costs of lots of money. Not true in small claims court. You just need to know.

ecmst12

This is RIDICULOUS advice. This poster is AT FAULT. There is no point in suing the other party, he wil lose and end up having to pay their legal fees on top of the actual damages.

Now if he refuses to pay the bill when the other guy's insurance company presents it to him, they will sue HIM in small claims court, and win.

Bozo-ess

I am going to have to replace the other car's airbags and bumper. I have been looking online for how much it could cost me- some say its $200-$500 for airbags and others say its well over a grand. Which one is it? How much do you guys think the repair would amount to? In addition, there is the towing fee, court fines and penaltiess, MVA fines. *sigh*
And my insurance is going to go up for sure- what should i do? :(

This is frustrating!

ecmst12

Airbag replacement is VERY VERY expensive. If the car isn't close to new, it will very likely total it out. If the other person isn't using his own insurance to cover the loss (which will then recover from you), you should have them get a professional estimate from a shop, so you can question the shop about whether it's totalled or not.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">