• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Novel Query

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Scribbler

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Indiana

I am a writer currently working on a novel (my second; the first was published by HarperCollins) set in a small southeastern Indiana town, August 2008. In the novel, an upstanding 65 year old man with no prior criminal history is at an outdoor party. Because of anonymous threats to his life, he has obtained a concealed carry permit and carries a gun in a hidden holster. While at this party, a fight breaks out between two younger men--one of whom is a friend of the older man. When it appears his friend may about to be killed, the older man draws his gun and fires it into the sky to prevent further violence.

He is successful in this effort, but I am assuming he would be arrested for criminal recklessness with a firearm? If so, and because I know practically nothing about legal procedure, can anyone tell me what would likely happen next?

1. If he is arrested, how long would he spend in jail before he could be freed on bail? What would a plausible amount for bail be?

2. Given the older man's absence of malice, and no criminal history, is it possible the charges might be dropped?

3. If the charges are not dropped, how long would it be before the case went to trial?

4. At the trial, can you envision a scenario in which he would not be found guilty? (I would really like for him not to end up a convicted felon.)

Any information, thoughts, or advice would be much appreciated.

Since you are already a published author it would be no problem for you to make an appointment with a criminal attorney in the state your crime is to take place in. I'm sure an just an hour of an attorney's time wouldn't be prohibitively expensive. You may also get a discount by noting that you are already a published author and could list his name in that part of the book where authors feel the need to prattle on about crap no one cares about and thank a billion people. (You know, the part no one reads.)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">