• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Who should submit the forms

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

skeeter8000

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California

Hello,

I was involved in an accident but was not at fault. I have received all current outstanding medical bills. Is there any disadvantage to letting the insurance company submit the medical bills to my insurance on my behalf vs. doing it on my own? I understand that the insurance companies have special arrangements with the health companies to lower the amount of the bills. If the amount of the bills are lowered, could my total settlement be less?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

skeeter8000

Thanks for the reply. I'm not concerned about them missing anything as there are only a few bills. I'm just wondering if it could effect the total dollar value of my settlement. E.g., if the insurance company only has to pay 70% of the total medical bills because of their relationships with the hospital, is it feasible that I could I get a settlement check for 30% less on the medical bills portion.

Thanks!

ecmst12

Did your health insurance pay this bill or did you pay it out of pocket? The other person's insurance company will NOT pay the medical bills directly, they pay you and it is up to you to make sure they get paid. That includes paying your health insurance company back for whatever they paid out.

skeeter8000

My health insurance will cover most of the bills ( I hope). Their insurance is just offering to submit the bills and forms to the health insurance company (they have the three bills) I would just assume let them do it if it won't effect the settlement amount.

ecmst12

Your pain and suffering settlement is only VERY loosely related to the dollar amount of the bills anyway. If there's only a few bills, then your injuries were minor and you shouldn't expect a lot in your pocket at the end. Make sure they either pay your health insurance directly (unlikely) or they have given you enough to cover what you owe them.

skeeter8000

Thanks a lot for the advice.

It's my understanding I may not need to reimburse the health insurance company for the full amount of the medical bills. In that case, I wanted to make sure, the amount of the bills wasn't lessened by the actions of the car insurance company.

ecmst12

You need to reimburse the insurance company WHAT THEY PAID. And that is what you are entitled to get from the auto company for your medical bills. You don't get to put the health insurance savings into your pocket. You can get a SMALL settlement for pain and suffering to go in your pocket, that's it.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">