• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Answer to Summons

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

G

Gwynf

I reside in the state of MS. I received a summons to answer a complaint filed against me on the behalf of a motor company for nonpayment. I am unable to pay this amount. I voluntarily return the vehicle last year, however a balance is due. I am unemployed and have no resources. What are my legal options to reply to this summons?

JETX

You can reply with a 'general denial' and ask that the Plainfiff be forced to prove their case with the unlikely hope that they no show at trial and you win by default.

Or if they show up, and whether you do or not, they could get get a judgment against you for the amount claimed, plus attorney fees, plus costs, plus interest.

Once a judgment is finalized, they will then be able to seize any non-exempt assets that you have. And since Mississippi allows 7 years for judgments, it can be enforced anytime within that period.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">