• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

help please

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

dmanriquez

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? new mexico

I went to pick up my mom from work because she was sick. I was driving her car and i am not on her insurance policy. I made a left turn (was leaving the parking lot) and a car that was also leaving hit us. The car was parked on the side of the road to my left. no one was hurt and the cars didnt have much damage. The lady apologized. She knew it was her fault because i was basically out of the parking lot and she didnt see me. We didnt call the cops because it wasnt a big deal. She asked if i had a license and insurance. I showed her my license and insurace. I thought there wasnt gonna be a problem because insurance is meant to protect others damages not yours so i knew her insurance was the one that had to be valid. I saw her insurance info and every thing seemed right. I told her i wasnt gonna file a claim because the damage was very small. Everything seemed good so we both left. A month later i recieved a call from my moms insurance company saying that a claim was filed for that accident and that they were not going to cover because i was driving and the accident was my fault.:mad: Her insurance company wants to charge us almost 2000 for the damage on the ladys car. We requested a copy of the work that was done on her car and it has nothing to do with the damage caused by the accident. We recently recieved a letter form a collection company. We want to go to court but we think an attorney is to expensive since its such a small claim. What should i do?:confused:

ecmst12

The accident WAS your fault.

Are you EXCLUDED from mom's policy? If so, you shouldn't have been driving her car. If not, they should be covering you since you had permission to drive the car. If you drive it regularly, you should be added to her policy.

dmanriquez

i dont drive it reguraly i have my own car but that day she wasnt in conditions to drive. my husband took me there and drove her car home.

ecmst12

Ok, then your next call should be to YOUR insurance company, tell them you were in an accident in someone else's car and their insurance doesn't want to cover you. Your insurance should provide backup coverage for you in this case.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">