• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

wierd accident

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

atharee

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? GA

I was turning left out of a parking lot into a road with two lanes each direction, and as I was turning into the street another car from a parking lot across the street was turning right into the street. He did not maintain his lane and crossed into my lane, so i sped up during the turn and swerved to avoid him (if I braked or turned normally I would have probably been hit by him). At the same time I sped up and swerved, the car in front of me in the lane I was entering who already drove by before I took the turn suddenly stops and takes an illegal turn (going the wrong way into a one way parking lot). I avoid the first car from hitting me, but unfortunately despite slamming on the brakes after the other person suddenly decides to turn left, and is hit from the L rear by myself. It was a minor fender bender with dents on her door and scratches on my bumper. They are claiming that they were hurt as well and have obtained a lawyer who is going after my insurance. The police cited both me and her, but not the driver who started this whole mess (he drove off) and escaped the accident. My citation was thrown out by the judge. In retrospect I should have just let that guy go into my lane without trying to avoid him, as most likely I would have been hit but I could have possibly been able to brake more and possibly avoid hitting the other car. Do I have a counterclaim against anyone? Unfortunately the driver that started everything and got unharmed drove off and we do not have his info.

ecmst12

You will probably be found at fault since someone turning ONTO a street from a parking lot must yield to anyone turning OFF of that street. Kinda sucks, but that's what insurance is for.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
In a nutshell -

You failed to yield to one driver, had to swerve because of that and then rear-ended another driver.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">