• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

auto accident

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

dcaesar

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? florida
I was in a rear end auto accident, the insurance company wants to right off the car, I want to get my car fix and keep my car, What is my legal rights on this issue.

Last edited:

ShyCat

Insurance companies are not required to fix your car. They can fix your car if it is cost effective; otherwise, they will total it. There is no way to force them, for example, to pay $5000 to fix a $3000 car. Companies will typically only pay repair costs up to a set percentage of the car's FMV, as set forth in the policy. For example, the policy may stipulate that the car will be totalled if repairs are 75% or more of the car's FMV.

ecmst12

You CAN accept settlement for your totalled car and retain it with a deduction representing the salvage value. But this almost never makes financial sense, since you will THEN have to repair the car, and then jump through several hoops before you will be allowed to register and drive it again. And then, you will have a salvage title, which means the value of the car will be cut in half. So unless the car was already in pretty bad shape, and the current damage is only cosmetic, it will end up costing you more to keep it.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">