• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

damages for CA accident

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

irishgalmeg

I was in an auto accident in California, but I live in Arizona and am not as familiar with the law there.

I was not at fault- the other driver was cited and has accepted responsibility. I finally (after 3 months) got a settlement offer from the other driver's insurance company for my medical bills and have a couple of questions, if anyone can help.

1- the insurance company is not accepting the full amount of my medical bills (which are very low- it was a relatively minor accident) and are refusing to consider the full charges from my chiropractor, saying he charges too much per visit. are there generally caps on this sort of thing?

2- they only offered me $800 in additional money beyond my medical bills...since they are not even covering the full bills it really only amounts to about $400. this seems low to me. does anyone know if CA law has anything about double or treble damages like other states?

3- how do I counter? at this point I'm just negotiating directly...it seems like a relatively small amount to hire an attorney, but should I do that if I don't want to accept their offer?

Thanks for any advice you can give!

ecmst12

Do you have health insurance or are you paying the bills out of your pocket? If paying out of pocket yes, if the bills are really excessive they may not consider the whole thing. If you haven't already paid them, you can try to negotiate with the provider. Otherwise it's just arguing with the insurance company.

You don't get blanket double or triple damages in ANY state. If your injuries were minor, you're just not going to get a ton of money. You can probably get more then $800, but not a LOT more.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">