• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Division of Debts

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

bigbird74

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Texas

My STBX and I pretty much had no assets besides household things, but lots of debt, most of which is in my name, not joint.

Since I'm doing this Pro Se, can I ask the judge that when the debts are split, can he order my ex to pay me or will he have to pay the creditors directly? The reason I'm asking is because it's been over 2 months since our son had a bicycle accident and I still have not received reimbursement for his half of the bill. (I can just hear him arguing that I took him to the dentist [which cost $89] not the emergency room [which would have probably been in the hundreds if not thousands, as they would have seen it as a "head injury" and ordered god knows what done])

But I just don't have any faith in him actually paying creditors that are calling ME, not him, if he can't even send me $50 for our son.

thanks for the help!

mistoffolees

You can ask the judge to order him to pay you-and that is probably the most logical thing.

If the judge DOES order him to pay the creditor, ask for the judge to put a date on it and then check up to make sure it was paid. If it isn't paid, you'll probably need to pay it to collect your credit rating, then go back to court to ask the judge to find him in contempt and reimburse your expenses.

bigbird74

~~Trying to keep all my stuff in one thread~~

OK, so I decided to withdraw my Motion to Compel for my ex's failure to respond to my discovery. I just want this over with and if he didn't provide me with any current financial information, I can only use what I had access to, which I am thinking will work in my favor. Especially since I am thinking he purposefully hasn't been earning much lately, to keep my "gold-digging hands off it" (that was from his 19 y.o. GF, BTW. Because you know 19 year olds are looking at 40 year old men for "LOVE") (He's a commissioned sales man)

Anyhoo, since my paperwork that I have prepared shows almost $10K in debt, that mistofflees said he'd most likely be ordered to pay to me, in Texas, can I have an order that will garnish his wages? As I still haven't received the $50 he owes me for our son's medical, I seriously doubt I'll ever see whatever he's ordered to pay. Additionally, I don't want to have to go back to court for contempt and all that B.S. just because he's a jacka$$ and his GF thinks she's got a sugar daddy.

Thanks for the help!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">