• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Divorcing in separate states

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Giggem2008

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Texas
I am trying to get a divorce...My wife and I have been separated for over a year now. I am living in Texas and she is in Colorado we have 3 children ages 21(out of the house), 18(living at home and in school), and 15(living at home and in school). I am wandering whats the next step if we were married in colorado but I have been living in Texas for over a year now.

mistoffolees

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Texas
I am trying to get a divorce...My wife and I have been separated for over a year now. I am living in Texas and she is in Colorado we have 3 children ages 21(out of the house), 18(living at home and in school), and 15(living at home and in school). I am wandering whats the next step if we were married in colorado but I have been living in Texas for over a year now.
You have to file in a state which has jurisdiction.

If you're simply looking for a divorce and don't have to worry about property division, that could be either TX or CO (assuming she has lived in CO long enough for them to have jurisdiction-90 days).

If you want the court to settle matters involving custody or property that is located in CO, then you'll need to file in CO (again, assuming she has lived there for the past 90 days).

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">