• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Car insurance question

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mibrady2

I just got a misdemeanor ticket for driving without insurance, expired registration and expired inspection in Massachusetts. Basically, while I was away at college (in Virginia), I stopped paying insurance. Well what happened was the insurance company tried to automatically deduct a monthly payment from my bank account, I din't have the funds at the time, it was refused by my bank (this is like a bounced check I suppose). I neglected to realize this. Then the insurance company cancelled my policy and informed massachusetts DMV, who then in turn cancelled my registration. Then i was driving home for thanksgiving, a state cop ran my plates while on the road, and I got the ticket described above. My total time without insurance was about 1 month. I got some the day I was pulled over (after I got my car back). I suppose I should get a lawyer. Does anyone know If I have any chance of getting the driving without insurance ticket lessened in some way. Thanks for taking the time to read this. Just looking for some general advice on how to proceed. court date is in a month.

ecmst12

You could, if you get a lawyer and make sure you have insurance and registration renewed by your court date. This is still going to cost you WAY more then keeping up your insurance would have been.

mibrady2

You could, if you get a lawyer and make sure you have insurance and registration renewed by your court date. This is still going to cost you WAY more then keeping up your insurance would have been.
Yeah, I know. The minimum fine in MA is $500. I more worried about having a misdemeanor on my record. I will probably be working for the government and will require a security clearance.

ecmst12

If you're VERY lucky, you might even be able to avoid the license suspension. But if this is important to your future career, hire a professional. I had to do that once and it cost me $1200, not including the fine of course.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">