• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

division of assests

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

whiteblue

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Michigan
My parents started their own business in 1985. They divorced in 1999. The agreement stated that my mom was to get a certian percent of the "proceeds" once the business sold. It is now selling for what is owed on it. My father will not make a profit. Does my mother have any legal claim to any money in this transaction? He will profit from the sale of the PROPERTY but it is under another business name. Does she have access to that money?
Thanks for your time

LdiJ

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Michigan
My parents started their own business in 1985. They divorced in 1999. The agreement stated that my mom was to get a certian percent of the "proceeds" once the business sold. It is now selling for what is owed on it. My father will not make a profit. Does my mother have any legal claim to any money in this transaction? He will profit from the sale of the PROPERTY but it is under another business name. Does she have access to that money?
Thanks for your time
Odds are that the property in the other business name was also addressed in the divorce. If it wasn't, then your dad may have played games that would allow the property settlement to be reopened.

If your dad transferred the property to another business name, after the divorce, or prior to the divorce without your mother's knowledge, then definitely your dad played games that would allow the property settlement to be reopened.

Your dad needs to consult an attorney and lay all his cards out on the table.

whiteblue

thanks for the response. The transfer took place either during or right after the divorce. I don't know all of the details. Would she have to go to court before it sells to get a settlement?

LdiJ

thanks for the response. The transfer took place either during or right after the divorce. I don't know all of the details. Would she have to go to court before it sells to get a settlement?
I don't know whose side you are on in this scenario, but your dad really tried to play games that are going to bite him in the butt.

mistoffolees

I don't know whose side you are on in this scenario, but your dad really tried to play games that are going to bite him in the butt.
All you can say is that MAYBE that happened. Unless you have a copy of the divorce decree and business transactions, it's impossible to say exactly what happened.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">