• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

boundary

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

hrayw

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? South Carolina
I have lived and paid taxes in South Carolina for the last sixty years on property that bounds on the North Carolina Line. Someone recently perchased the adjacent property in North Carolina and are claiming that about an acre of my land is included in their perchase. I have povided tax records and a copy of my plat, but they still are trying to claim this land. I even offered to pay them the price they paid but that did not satisfy them.
What should I do?

FarmerJ

Have a boundry survey done, If the survey shows the area the other party thinks is not yours to be yours, have it marked and have copper grounding rods pounded in with in inches of your side of the markers and consider having it fenced in. Hire a atty to draw up a letter for you telling this other person the property had been surveyed , it is yours and you do not grant consent for any changes /alterations to your property. If the other person wishes to they can choose to have a survey of there own done and sue in court asking the court to settle BUT I suspect the state line issue will only make it way more expensive for the other party to attempt to sue.

drewguy

What evidence have they given you to establish their claim?

Or is this simply a question of where a line should be drawn--i.e., where the state border in fact is?

I ask because really they should have to do more than just "claim" the land to make you go to the trouble and expense of a survey. (And I certainly wouldn't offer them money)

Kiawah

Why would you pay anybody for land, which is legitimately yours? Something smells fishy about this, like for instance that you think some land is yours, but it really isn't and you are wanting to buy it now.

Have a surveyor mark your property line, as per your deed...as has been suggested.

hrayw

This land is a family farm that has been in the family for about 60 years. The amount of land in question is less than two acres. I have a building on part of this land. The other party payed about $1500.00 per acre. I thought I would come out better just to reimburse this price than to hire an attorney and pay for surveys.

drewguy

That is a reasonable approach, but the other side is not being reasonable apparently. Ask them for a copy of their survey, and take it from there. Put them to the expense first. Or tell them to file an action against the seller.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">