• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Shoplifting

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

enata

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
U.S. Military Base

Hello,
I'm hoping you would be able to help me. Recently my sister was at a military exchange store and was stopped at the door for some items at the bottom of her cart that she forgot to pay for. So she explains how it was a mistake and she was willing to pay for the items (it totaled to about ten dollars). So they bring to a office and the manager starts accusing her of shoplifting a lot of other stuff. Just to inform you of return policies at military exchages, you can return items without receipts. My sister has three children and they recently had a baby shower for her baby girl and a birthday party for her two sons so she returns many gifts that were given to her kids.
Getting back to where the store employee is accusing my sister of stealing a lot of other items, he says to her if you cooperate they won't get base police involved. The store employee also says he has lots of evidence on her and he will just turn it over to the police if she doesn't cooperate. He uses a lot of scare tactics and lies to her. So she cooperates and makes a written statement that she stole some items before and has returned them. She was scared out of her mind and they wouldn't even let her talk to her husband. In the end she tells them what they want to hear and they still end up calling the cops on her. Later she realizes that the evidence they are talking about is just some papers showing the return she made and its really nothing.
HELP....What can we do to help her get out of this mess? They didn't have evidence until my sister wrote that incriminating statment. As far as we they did not give the statment to the police, the store manager said they were going to do an investigation.

JETX

The store employee also says he has lots of evidence on her and he will just turn it over to the police if she doesn't cooperate. He uses a lot of scare tactics and lies to her. So she cooperates and makes a written statement that she stole some items before and has returned them.
Hmmmm... wouldn't a truly INNOCENT person simply say... "No problem. Since I never stole anything from you, go ahead and present your 'proof'." A guilty person would fear presentation of the 'evidence' and could go ahead and admit.
So, given that 'life fact'..... I don't see where the employee lied or used 'scare tactics' at all.

She was scared out of her mind and they wouldn't even let her talk to her husband.
Not required... and not relevant.

In the end she tells them what they want to hear and they still end up calling the cops on her. Later she realizes that the evidence they are talking about is just some papers showing the return she made and its really nothing.
So, she knew she was guilty.... and fell for their threat of presenting the proof of her guilt??

HELP....What can we do to help her get out of this mess? They didn't have evidence until my sister wrote that incriminating statment. As far as we they did not give the statment to the police, the store manager said they were going to do an investigation.
First, you have to recognize the FACTS here. She is a thief.... and now has to accept the consequences of her conduct.
Second, I suggest you help her get appropriate legal counsel to protect her legal rights.

cyjeff

Allow me to add that her signing a confession is, usually, a damning piece of evidence.

I will agree with the above, though... an innocent person does not sign a confession.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">