• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

rent to purchase coop apartment

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

derekjeter

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? new jersey
Can I get my deposits back on a coop apartment I rented with an option to buy.

I signed a one lease with an option to buy. I was required to put up a security deposit of 1 1/2 months plus $5,000 towards the purchase. The one year has passed. The noise level from the apartment above makes it impossible to live here and I want to leave. 4 months ago the management company installed new flooring in the apartment above me but it has done very little to reduce the noise.

Mass_Shyster

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? new jersey
Can I get my deposits back on a coop apartment I rented with an option to buy.

I signed a one lease with an option to buy. I was required to put up a security deposit of 1 1/2 months plus $5,000 towards the purchase. The one year has passed. The noise level from the apartment above makes it impossible to live here and I want to leave. 4 months ago the management company installed new flooring in the apartment above me but it has done very little to reduce the noise.
Without reading the contract, any response would be purely a guess.

Here's mine:

I suspect you'll get the security deposit back (minus any damage), but I doubt you'll get the $5,000 back. You purchased the option with that.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">