• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

stolen social security number

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

help202

What is the name of your state? Florida

I am asking this question for a friend of mine I wasn't sure which topic to put this under. Somebody has been using his social security number for the last 3 years and owes the IRS 3000.00 he has contacted IRS who says he needs to call the sheriffs department and file a report. The sheriffs department says there is nothing they can do. He knows where the person is working who is using his number but doesn't know what he needs to do here does anyone have any advice on what he needs to do to fix this problem?

Some Random Guy

The IRS says he needs to file a report. So it doesn't matter if the sheriff is too lazy to do anything - he need to demand that they let him file a report so that he can fulfil the IRS requirements. Send the report to the IRS. Problem solved.

If he is feeling really adventurous, he can go visit the company's HR department with his ID and SS card and ask them why they are allowing people with fraudulent IDs to steal money from him and ask whether they intend to repay his dept to the IRS. He won't see a dime from the company of course, but it may get the fraudster fired.

TinkerBelleLuvr

Your friend needs to:

1. File a police report for identity theft.

2. Once you have your report, you go to the social security office to remove from your record the work records that are NOT correct.

3. Once that has been done, then you can contact the IRS Tax Advocate for further assistance.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">