• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

unknown debts

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mousey

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? PA

I just found out that my husband had a credit card on which he owes over $20,000.00 and is now in collections. Since we are in the process of a divorce, will I be held responsible for any of it?

LdiJ

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? PA

I just found out that my husband had a credit card on which he owes over $20,000.00 and is now in collections. Since we are in the process of a divorce, will I be held responsible for any of it?
You can certainly try to fight being responsible for any of it. However that is no guarantee that you will prevail. Do you have any idea what he spent the money on?

Bali Hai

I'm almost 99% sure it was used to take care of his other children.
"Almost 99% sure" doesn't amount to a fart in a windstorm.

You need EVIDENCE to support your "hunch".

Otherwise plan to pay half of that marital debt.

Bali Hai

I'm almost 99% sure it was used to take care of his other children.
"Almost 99% sure" doesn't amount to a fart in a category 5 hurricane.

You need EVIDENCE to support your "hunch".

Otherwise plan to pay half of that marital debt.

mousey

Although this may be considered hearsay, I was told that he had been giving the mother of his 7 year old about $600.00 a month while we were still together. I did not find out about this child until after we separated in March 2007. I do know the whereabouts of this woman and became aware that my stbx also had an apartment with her at one time. Would any of this make a difference?

mistoffolees

Although this may be considered hearsay, I was told that he had been giving the mother of his 7 year old about $600.00 a month while we were still together. I did not find out about this child until after we separated in March 2007. I do know the whereabouts of this woman and became aware that my stbx also had an apartment with her at one time. Would any of this make a difference?
I'm not sure it matters. If he had written a check to for child support, you would not be able to say anything about it - it is a normal part of life. You could not go back and ask to be reimbursed for money spent on child support while you were married, so I suspect that the fact that it was on a credit card wouldn't get you off the hook, either (even if you could prove that he used the money for child support).

But, see an attorney.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">