• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

19 year old wrecked friends car

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

bkstamper

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Virginia
Our 19 year daughter backed up her friends car into another car on private property approx 3 weeks ago. Both owners of the cars refused to contact their insurance or file a police report. The damage was estimated at $1,300 just on one car with no damage to the car our daughter drove. Our insurance only covers her while driving her personal vehicle. She has been trying to make arrangements with the damaged car owner for repairs to rectify. We know a body repair tech who agreed to take care of the work in his private shop over the weekend for $900. He works at a local major dealership and would do a professional job. The damaged car owner's mother refused the offer because she wants the job "warranted" we tried to explain that only the parts would be warranted...she became irrate and 2 days later we have been served with a "Debt Warrant" along with the other car owner involved. Our daughter is saving her personal money to pay for the damages and just needed more time to save. This all happened the week before the Thanksgiving holiday and many involved were out of town. We had hoped that the owner of the car would do the right thing and report it to their insurance company and let us pay the deductible of $500 but they refused because in their words, "Their daughter was not involved." Should we hire an attorney? What can we expect now? What is the name of your state? Virginia

Banned_Princess

I'm going to say this.

If your daughter had permission to drive, then the accident would be covered, to no consequence to the owner of the policy. (as in no rate increase or anything.) So him not submitting the claim is him just being a jerk. Then your daughter can make arrangements to pay the insurance company if they feel it necessary to do so.

The $500 deductible would only apply if the car your daughter was driving would get fixed too. There is no deductible for liability

Technically, the owner of the car is also responsible, so if the damaged cars owner files any suit, they will be named as defendants too, so they might as well put the claim in and then let your daughter make the payments if need be.

I say get the guys insurance information and submit it to yourself.

cyjeff

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Virginia
Our 19 year daughter backed up her friends car into another car on private property approx 3 weeks ago. Both owners of the cars refused to contact their insurance or file a police report. The damage was estimated at $1,300 just on one car with no damage to the car our daughter drove. Our insurance only covers her while driving her personal vehicle. She has been trying to make arrangements with the damaged car owner for repairs to rectify. We know a body repair tech who agreed to take care of the work in his private shop over the weekend for $900. He works at a local major dealership and would do a professional job. The damaged car owner's mother refused the offer because she wants the job "warranted" we tried to explain that only the parts would be warranted...she became irrate and 2 days later we have been served with a "Debt Warrant" along with the other car owner involved. Our daughter is saving her personal money to pay for the damages and just needed more time to save. This all happened the week before the Thanksgiving holiday and many involved were out of town. We had hoped that the owner of the car would do the right thing and report it to their insurance company and let us pay the deductible of $500 but they refused because in their words, "Their daughter was not involved." Should we hire an attorney? What can we expect now? What is the name of your state? Virginia
I really dislike your opinion of the "right thing". So, the injured party's insurance rates should go up?

Besides, all that means is that you get sued by the insurance company rather than the injured party. And, I assure you, the insurance company WILL sue you for the damages.

The injured party, further, does not have to agree to what amounts to an shade tree mechanic. If they want a warranty on the WORK, it will have to be done in a reputable shop.

I don't see where they are being unreasonable at all.

cyjeff

I'm going to say this.

If your daughter had permission to drive, then the accident would be covered, to no consequence to the owner of the policy. (as in no rate increase or anything.) So him not submitting the claim is him just being a jerk. Then your daughter can make arrangements to pay the insurance company if they feel it necessary to do so.

The $500 deductible would only apply if the car your daughter was driving would get fixed too. There is no deductible for liability

Technically, the owner of the car is also responsible, so if the damaged cars owner files any suit, they will be named as defendants too, so they might as well put the claim in and then let your daughter make the payments if need be.

I say get the guys insurance information and submit it to yourself.
I think I read the post differently.

I got the impression that the injured party wasn't moving.

Banned_Princess

I think I read the post differently.

I got the impression that the injured party wasn't moving.

Well, I also got the impression only op's daughter was driving, and I ment that she should submitt the claim to the company that covered the car she was driving. They would pay the damaged vehicle ( because the car being driven had no damage ) and probably would then work with the driver in a payment plan. Its better then putting this girl through this stress, accidents happen its why we are all required to carry insurance.

Insurance follows the car, not the driver, but the at fault accident surcharge follows the driver. So definately the policy covering the daughter would go up.

cyjeff

Well, I also got the impression only op's daughter was driving, and I ment that she should submitt the claim to the company that covered the car she was driving. They would pay the damaged vehicle ( because the car being driven had no damage ) and probably would then work with the driver in a payment plan. Its better then putting this girl through this stress, accidents happen its why we are all required to carry insurance.

Insurance follows the car, not the driver, but the at fault accident surcharge follows the driver. So definately the policy covering the daughter would go up.
But I can certainly understand the victim not wanting to report this.

ecmst12

The not-at-fault driver's insurance will not go up even if they were to make a collision claim, because their driver was not at fault, and their insurance would recover in full from the other owner's insurance company.

cyjeff

The not-at-fault driver's insurance will not go up even if they were to make a collision claim, because their driver was not at fault, and their insurance would recover in full from the other owner's insurance company.
I think that is the problem.

The driver's insurance has denied liability.

Banned_Princess

I think that is the problem.

The driver's insurance has denied liability.
LOL, I think the problem is that the owner/policy holder of the car the girl was driving doesnt want to call it in because it wasnt his daughter driving.

this is actually really simple.

The driver is covered by her parents policy, to drive their cars. ((When the claim was called to them, they denied it, because insurance follows the car, not the driver.))

The driver got into her friends car (with permission) and backed into the neighbors car.

The neighbors car was damaged, but the friends car was not.

The claim should go through the friends policy, because that is where the car, and libility is covered.

That policy will pay for the neighbors car, where ever she wants to get it fixed at,

And if necessary (because it might not be) the driver can make payments to the friends policy to clear the damage they paid for.

The policy premium will not be increased because none of their drivers are at fault, but the drivers rates WILL go up because she is at fault.

The neighbor does not have to call her company at all.

ecmst12

The at-fault owner's policy SHOULDN'T go up, since the at-fault driver is not a named driver (which is appropriate). HER insurance will go up once her insurance company learns of the accident. Accidents follow the driver, not the vehicle.

divona2000

...owners of the cars refused to contact their insurance or file a police report. The damage was estimated at $1,300 just on one car...
Isn't the owner of the damaged vehicle breaking the law by not notifying the police/DMV within 10 days when damages are over $750 ? Or does that only apply if the owner was the 'at fault' driver?

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">