• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Confidentiality?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ghtix

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NJ

The latest development in our saga to try to inspect our condo books & records is that the Board & their attorney want us to agree to confidentiality - beforehand.

None of the applicable laws or condo docs mention or impose any such behavioral restrictions.

We have a hunch as to why - but naturally nothing can be confirmed until we actually see the books & records. What if - for example - there is criminal misappropriation of funds - would confidentiality prevent us from contacting law enforcement?

If / when we refuse, we know that they will try to use this as a reason for denying us access.

Insight appreciated.

BlondiePB

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NJ

The latest development in our saga to try to inspect our condo books & records is that the Board & their attorney want us to agree to confidentiality - beforehand.

None of the applicable laws or condo docs mention or impose any such behavioral restrictions.

We have a hunch as to why - but naturally nothing can be confirmed until we actually see the books & records. What if - for example - there is criminal misappropriation of funds - would confidentiality prevent us from contacting law enforcement?

If / when we refuse, we know that they will try to use this as a reason for denying us access.

Insight appreciated.
Do not sign and/or agree to any confidentiality. I read your other threads. From experience, my HOA is playing a lot of games with accessing records too. A prior BOD even admitted to the current BOD falsifying records.

The best and fastest way to access records is to get on the BOD. I won't do this because there are no elections and will not put myself on the line for the misuse, misappropriation, and embezzeling the HOA funds. The financial records don't lie.

Make sure your certified letter states how many days the HOA has to produce the records you want to inspect per your state statutes along with failing to comply will result in you taking legal action.

You Are Guilty

There is nothing in the law which requires confidentiality, therefore, there is no reason why you should agree to it. You are entitled to see the books, plain and simple. Don't back down.

Mikeeee

One thing for sure any agreement for confidentiality can not be legal if you discover a crime. No law in this country can keep you from reporting criminal activity if it were evident. The agreement itself would be a criminal offense. Ading and abetting grand theft.

cyjeff

I would really think about your next step.

You want to make sure that the evidence doesn't disappear.

Is there enough to take to the police?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">