• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

To buy or not to buy

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

RYCH2009

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? New York

I'm legally separated and would like to buy property. If i do is my soon to be ex entitled to any part of my purchase?

Bali Hai

I'm legally separated and would like to buy property. If i do is my soon to be ex entitled to any part of my purchase?
The simple answer is NO.

If you are the wife the answer is absolutely NO.

If you are the husband, MAYBE.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee

What does the LEGAL SEPARATION order state?

mistoffolees

What does the LEGAL SEPARATION order state?
Also, what is the source of funds you plan to use? Is it anything that your ex could claim ownership of or is it truly separate (such as funds defined as your property in your legal separation papers)?

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
And if there is NO LEGAL SEPARATION ORDER, then if you buy the property it is marital property if you use income and NOT separate funds like an inheritance.

Bali Hai

And if there is NO LEGAL SEPARATION ORDER, then if you buy the property it is marital property if you use income and NOT separate funds like an inheritance.
OG rules correctly as expected, additionally if there is a divorce action filed, buy all the property you like and keep track of purchases AFTER the TIME of COMMENCEMENT of the ACTION. Money earned after aforesaid is YOURS!!

mistoffolees

OG rules correctly as expected, additionally if there is a divorce action filed, buy all the property you like and keep track of purchases AFTER the TIME of COMMENCEMENT of the ACTION. Money earned after aforesaid is YOURS!!
Yes, money earned after date of filing is yours. But property purchased after date of filing is yours only if you use separate funds. If you use marital funds to buy property, it is subject to division.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">