• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

COA Retaliation/harassment - what would you do?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Wrender

Ohio

• Brief History
  • I have lived in my unit 5 years
  • There are 198 Units
  • I served on Board for 2 years
  • I have always been cooperative and even pay a cable fee which I don't use and know the board cannot legally collect (its in the better interest of the community).
  • I was recently cited for a few violations (repaint garage molding and two window sills). I was cited for the same violations a year ago, made repairs, and was given an okay for meeting the requirements.
  • After expressing my frustration with this and requesting further explanation / verification of these items I recieved an additional list of violations (extra windows sills to be repainted, one window to be replaced, a change in request to replace sills and garage molding which were to be repainted before).

I can't help but feel like the person(s) doing the re-inspection are trying to teach me a lesson by citing me for everything that they possibly can in order to keep me quiet. Now I recognize that some of these areas aren't perfect but I can take a walk and find an uncountable amount of other windows and garage doors with problems far worse than mine and am perplexed that they would change their specific requests to more costly/difficult demands.

This combined with a cracked cement patio pad that I was told the Board couldn't afford to replace when months later they replaced other residents cracked pads and a fence belonging to the neighboring commercial center that has been falling apart (literally in whole sections) for almost a whole year. I have urged the board to contact code enforcement after their attempts to convince the owners to replace this fence failed and recently found that I am the only person to have done so.

What would you do? I am planning on requesting a hearing / review in front of the board in order to ask some gently pointed questions as to why / how they feel that they are treating me fairly in light of the above mentioned problems, history, and inconsistency. Admittedly, I was probably a little short and overly critical when I spoke with a person at the property management company and with one of the board members. Regardless, it doesn't lessen the weight of their retaliation.

Is this harassment? What is the best course of action? Or am I just being overly sensitive (it sure has me stressed out and frustrated enough to be effecting my normally unwaveringly positive mental state).

Thanks in advance.What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">