• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

False accusations

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Jabez09

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Georgia
My friend and her fiancee broke off their engagement. She had found him with another woman. The next day she fell while retrieving Christmas decorations from the loft causing a eye injury and scratches on her back. Due to the hurt of finding her fiancee with another woman she went to authorities and made a false accusation that he had injured her. No warrant was taken, she would have to go for a pre-warrant hearing because the alledged incident supposedly occurred 2 days prior, however a report was made and pictures of markings made. The ex-fiancee is currently on probation for a true domestic case from a previous marriage. Since no actuall warrant was issued yet, can the state pick up the case and issue a warrant? Can the alledged abuse possibly revoke his probation? She is willing to retract her false accusation but is affraid of what will happen to her or if anything will happen to her legally.

HighwayMan

Super Secret Senior Member
Of course he can be arrested.

She should just do the right thing and contact whoever she made the complaint with and express her desire not to pursue the case. Every jurisdiction is different so it might be difficult or easy to deal with.

The longer this goes on the harder it will be for her to avoid problems for herself.

dave33

Like Highway said "every juristction is different",but if charged the violation of probation would be my biggest concern. If what you describe is accurate,I would say the state or the d.a. could issue a warrant until the s.o.l. runs out. He would most likely not be informed and arrested when convenient for them.Also, if the statement given was false than she should be compelled/convinced to retract her statement a.s.a.p.goodluck.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">