• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Four Car Accident: Legally parked car getting the runaround

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

itmaybeokay

In Queens, NY:

About a month ago I was standing outside on my porch when I heard a smash. I looked into the intersection to see two cars having hit each other. One of them continued after the collision and smashed into my car, causing $5,500 worth of damages and totaling it.

Vehicle 1 was traveling southbound and going straight. This is the car that hit mine, they are insured by Geico.

Vehicle 2 was traveling northbound, making a left hand turn to go westbound. This vehicle did not impact my car. They are insured by Long Island Insurance Company.

Vehicle 1 says they had a green light.

Vehicle 2 says they had a green arrow, and that vehicle 1 was in the right-turn-only lane and went straight anyway.

Both of these cars have been repaired. Geico is saying that their vehicle is not responsible because they were pushed into my car, and they had the right of way over the car turning left. They say that Vehicle 2 struck their vehicle.

Long island insurance company has already gone so far as to deny my claim, stating that their vehicle did not impact mine, and that their driver did not cause the accident.

The end result of this is that I am getting the shaft. My car is still totaled, I have no rental, and nobody wants to pay me. Again, my car was legally parked an unoccupied. There is no way for me to have possibly been at any fault.

What, if any, legal recourse do I have in this situation?

Thank you, in advance, for your help.

ecmst12

If you have collision coverage, use that and let your insurance company worry about whose fault it was.

If you don't, file in small claims court against ALL the drivers and let the judge decide who owes you what.

You Are Guilty

^^ ditto ^^

Also, check your own policy to see if you have rental reimbursement. Should help cover the costs for a short term rental till you can get this straightened out.

HighwayMan

Super Secret Senior Member
YOUR insurance company will do the hard part - there is no reason for you to get involved in this at that level.

Did you get a copy of the police accident report? I suggest that you do - your insurance company might be able to help you more quickly if you already have it for them.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">