• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Do speed bumps constitute a violation of the easement's right for ingress and egress?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

The Dude

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? AZ

I recently moved to TX, but the issue in question is in AZ where our other house is still for sale. We bought the house five years ago and were told that there were two easements for our neighbors up the hill for ingress and egress. We all use the same driveway and it goes right in front of my house, but not a big deal. It was a dirt road and I paved it and I put in speed bumps at the same time (to keep speeding down in front of my house because I had a 1 year old at the time and a dog), all done by a professional contractor and certainly nothing out of the ordinary. Turns out that the neighbors don't like the speed bumps and in May (over 4 years after the paving was done) hired an attorney and demanded that they be removed or they would do it themselves. I called their attorney and concluded they were bluffing (he wouldn't tell me which laws I had violated and claimed the speed bumps were dangerous and in impediment to safety vehicles - yeah right). Well, on Saturday, I got a call from my realtor that there were workers on my property removing the speed bumps. I left a message with one neighbor and called then called the police. The cop said the two neighbors were both on the scene and were claiming that they jointly owned the property, which they don't. I tried to explain to the cop the difference between an easement and joint ownership, but he said he couldn't do anything without me there with some documentation that the property was actually mine. Very frustrating, but I couldn't do anything from here in TX at the time. I am in the process of looking for an attorney in AZ, but I wanted to find out if the neighbors actually have the right in AZ to alter my driveway. Their attorney is claimng that I have no right to impede their use of the easement. I find that hard to believe, especially since I wasn't doing anything out of the ordinary. Sorry for the long post, but I wanted to be clear about my situation so that someone may be able to respond with some advice specific to my situation.

Here is what I want, so let me know if I am being reasonable:
I want the speed bumps replaced at their expense and my legal fees paid.

In the course of my research, I discovered that I also have an easement across their properties to another street. One of these two problem neighbors has a private gate that he is very picky about. If their attorney is actually correct that I can't impede access with speed bumps, it seems like an electronically operated gate is no dice as well.

Finally, one of the neighbor's easement was granted with the following language:

"The Grantor and the Grantees by the acceptance of this deed, hereby covenant, each with the other, that the locations of the easements over Lot 211 described herein, may be relocated by the owner of the servient tenement, at the expense of the owner of the servient tenement, so long as the easement as relocated is reasonably passable by passenger automobile traffic. This covenant shall run with the land."

A prior owner of my appears to have moved the easement for this property to an adjacent property that he also owned. Should it be a problem to enforce this new easement? There is one complicating factor here - the easement was moved for both neighbors' properties, but only one of them had the language quoted above. I am assuming that the Grant is valid for one and not the other - am I correct?

Thanks in advance for any help!!

Tod

FarmerJ

Before too many details are forgotten contact that police dept in Az that responded to the call and insist on getting a report of the officers findings , it could help you when you are able to actually speak to a atty.

Ozark_Sophist

Speed bumps burden the easement. That being said, the neighbors should have settled the matter through the court. You might win the battle, but will lose the war.

The Dude

Before too many details are forgotten contact that police dept in Az that responded to the call and insist on getting a report of the officers findings , it could help you when you are able to actually speak to a atty.
I was told by the Deputy on the scene that the report would be available on-line by today, but it's not. From what I can tell they are a few weeks backlogged.

The Dude

Speed bumps burden the easement. That being said, the neighbors should have settled the matter through the court. You might win the battle, but will lose the war.
Could you please explain what you mean, both by burdening the easement and by the losing the war? It seems that if the speed bumps are a bad burden, then the gate on my neighbor's property is an even worse burden, wouldn't you think? If so, then I have leverage. Also, not sure if it matters, but the neighbors both have alternate easements to the same street and they use them frequently, both before I paved the driveway and after.

drewguy

Could you please explain what you mean, both by burdening the easement and by the losing the war? It seems that if the speed bumps are a bad burden, then the gate on my neighbor's property is an even worse burden, wouldn't you think? If so, then I have leverage. Also, not sure if it matters, but the neighbors both have alternate easements to the same street and they use them frequently, both before I paved the driveway and after.
1) Having another path/easement to the street is irrelevant.
2) Speed bumps could be unreasonable, but it seems unlikely. Since you have reasons for them, that is more likely to make them reasonable.
3) A gate could be unreasonable, but if they provide you with a means to open it, where's the burden?

Also, get a lawyer. But if your kid is now 6 and you're selling, why would you fight this other than the principle? I doubt very much that the speed bumps add value to your property.

The Dude

1) Having another path/easement to the street is irrelevant.
2) Speed bumps could be unreasonable, but it seems unlikely. Since you have reasons for them, that is more likely to make them reasonable.
3) A gate could be unreasonable, but if they provide you with a means to open it, where's the burden?

Also, get a lawyer. But if your kid is now 6 and you're selling, why would you fight this other than the principle? I doubt very much that the speed bumps add value to your property.
Yes, principle is a big concern - I just have this thing about my neighbors digging up my driveway and acting like I'm a jerk for not liking it.

My point about the gate is that if they think my speed bumps are unreasonable and use that as a successful defense for removing my speed bumps, then how could they possibly justify having a gate if I complain about it? Obviously, I don't personally care about the gate, but it's a bargaining chip.

Let me just emphasize that there are 3 speed bumps in question over a 410 foot driveway. We had to drive over 2 of them ourselves, so it's not like we are making them use the speedbumps and not us. Also, the driveway in question is a long and flat and it precedes a steep hill, so there is an incentive for people to drive fast. What if they wanted to drive 200 mph? Where is the balance between free use of the easement and the safety hazards that the use creates?

hendo2010

I own property in the same situation my neighbors have an easement across my property, and they drive fast and reckless, so what your saying is I cant put in speed bumps to slow these people down? do you think a judge would rule againts me even if I had video footage of the fast driving? It seems the person who owns the property has little to no rights when it comes to an easement , but we get to pay taxes on it and maintence on it , I will make sure the next house I buy does not have any easemants.

The Dude

I own property in the same situation my neighbors have an easement across my property, and they drive fast and reckless, so what your saying is I cant put in speed bumps to slow these people down? do you think a judge would rule againts me even if I had video footage of the fast driving? It seems the person who owns the property has little to no rights when it comes to an easement , but we get to pay taxes on it and maintence on it , I will make sure the next house I buy does not have any easemants.
I haven't been able to speak to an attorney yet, so I don't know if the easement holders have a legitimate reason to remove the speed bumps. I feel like I have a strong case and that any clear headed observer of the situation would side with me, but then we're dealing with the legal system and what's right isn't always what's legal. :mad:

csi7

Is the road itself damaged by the removal of the speed bumps?

Does the removal of the speed bumps make it difficult for you to sell the house?

What do you want from the neighbors who chose to wait until you put the house up for sale and left the area to remove the speed bumps?

Did you have to get a permit to have the speed bumps installed?

drewguy

The question is not whether it's a "burden" but rather whether it's an "unreasonable burden". Gates are often held not to be unreasonable burdens when they're installed for a reason (e.g., keeping horses in and trespassers out), especially if they are convenient to open (e.g., electronic opener).

A speed bump probably would be analyzed similarly. How much of a burden does it create? On the other hand, unlike a gate a speed bump's sole purpose is to slow traffic. There's not some other beneficial use that it's facilitating for the property. So it's possible that would be a difference. Of course, if you could point to speeding as a problem, then you could show that it's necessary for you to enjoy your property by making sure cars don't rip through at unsafe speeds.

Here's a case from Arizona discussing the gate issues: http://www.cofad1.state.az.us/opinionfiles/CV/CV060624 amended.pdf

It also mentions an Oregon case (Marsh) in which installation of speed bumps was held to be reasonable.

IF I were living there I might fight on this. But since you're selling, you're likely to spend as much in lawyer fees as you could recover in damages. Go nuts--a lawyer will like the fees, but to me it seems like a waste of money.

The Dude

Is the road itself damaged by the removal of the speed bumps?

Does the removal of the speed bumps make it difficult for you to sell the house?

What do you want from the neighbors who chose to wait until you put the house up for sale and left the area to remove the speed bumps?

Did you have to get a permit to have the speed bumps installed?
My understanding is that they had to backfill the area where the bumps were removed. If it was a competent job, then I guess the driveway is serviceable.

Yes, I think it will make the house harder to sell because anyone looking at that driveway will likely realize that it is a danger.

I want the neighbors to pay for the replacement of the speed bumps and my attorney's fees. If they committed a criminal act by destroying private property, I would also pursue a criminal prosecution.

I did not get a permit. The work was done by an AZ licensed contractor. The attorney representing the neighbors never mentioned a permit. I doubt that one was necessary and I couldn't find anywhere online with my county website indicating that building permit for speed bumps on private driveways is necessary.

Mass_Shyster

I haven't been able to speak to an attorney yet, so I don't know if the easement holders have a legitimate reason to remove the speed bumps. I feel like I have a strong case and that any clear headed observer of the situation would side with me, but then we're dealing with the legal system and what's right isn't always what's legal. :mad:
Hunt v. Richardson 216 Ariz. 114, 163 P.3d 1064 involves a gate placed across an easement, and in the analysis states that speed bumps may be reasonable:

"Hunt v. Richardson" - Google Scholar

The Dude

The question is not whether it's a "burden" but rather whether it's an "unreasonable burden". Gates are often held not to be unreasonable burdens when they're installed for a reason (e.g., keeping horses in and trespassers out), especially if they are convenient to open (e.g., electronic opener).

A speed bump probably would be analyzed similarly. How much of a burden does it create? On the other hand, unlike a gate a speed bump's sole purpose is to slow traffic. There's not some other beneficial use that it's facilitating for the property. So it's possible that would be a difference. Of course, if you could point to speeding as a problem, then you could show that it's necessary for you to enjoy your property by making sure cars don't rip through at unsafe speeds.

Here's a case from Arizona discussing the gate issues: http://www.cofad1.state.az.us/opinionfiles/CV/CV060624 amended.pdf

It also mentions an Oregon case (Marsh) in which installation of speed bumps was held to be reasonable.

IF I were living there I might fight on this. But since you're selling, you're likely to spend as much in lawyer fees as you could recover in damages. Go nuts--a lawyer will like the fees, but to me it seems like a waste of money.
It might indeed be non-profitable, but I also want to know if I can legitimately claim that the easement of one neighbor has already been moved to another parcel (see original post). If so, that would be valuable for me.

Also, no one has told me if asking for attorney's fees is a realsitic question in a case like this.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">