• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Water Covenant?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Johnny_Miami

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? PA

I have a friend wanting to purchase a home with a common city water source.

Here is the background of the situation:

There is a front parcel of property, on this property is a "main home" and an apartment building of consisting of 3 units. There is a "back house", which is the property that is trying to be purchased by my friend. It is deeded separately and has a property easement in the deed giving him right to get to and from his property.

The main house has the main water line with a meter from the city; the water line continues to the apartments and then on to the back house. The owner of the main house owns the apts and at one time the back house prior to its subdivision, separation and sale.

My question really pertains to the water and how it can be maintained. Currently they get the water bill and its split into 5ths, 3/5th to the tenants, 1/5th to the owner/main house and 1/5th to the back house.

Is there a covenant that can be written to protect my friend wanting to purchase to allow his uninterrupted use of this water should the current owner of the main house and apts sell? Has anyone ever heard of this or seen it? Or should he ask the current owner/seller to have the water main split (obviously more costly for the seller/current owner)?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">