• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Trees and Neighbors

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

snowjob17

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Washington State

I have trees on my property that my grandfather planted over 40 tears ago. These trees regularly shed leaves and branches on my neighbors property. They continually throw this debris over the fence that separates our properties. When I ask them not to they say that the debris is my responsibility and if I don't like it then I should call the police. I would really like to know if the leaves and branches are my responsibility or theirs.

TigerD

Take them at their word and call the police.

Then talk to an attorney about suing to recoup the clean-up costs.

DC

drewguy

Unless the tree is dead or hazardous, what falls from it (twigs, branches, limbs, leaves, nuts) is the responsibility of the person on whose property it falls. It's nature--it's not like you're telling the tree to dump its leaves next door.

Your neighbors need to get a life. And yes, you should call the police for illegal dumping or littering or something.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">