• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

in contempt of court order re: QDRO

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

bal57

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Massachusetts

My ex-wife and I were divorced on August 10. The divorce became final on November 10 (in Massachusetts you must wait 90 days). In our divorce agreement, our QDROs were to be finalized and submitted to the court within 60 days of the date we signed (Aug 10th).

It is now almost 120 days and I can't get this moving. I contacted my laywer before the 60 days were up and he said he hadn't heard from my plan administrator. I made a phone call and the paperwork was drawn up immediately and sent to my lawyer. A few more weeks passed and I contacted my lawyer again. This time he said the the paperwork for both QDRO's was on his desk and he was waiting for my ex-wife to sign it.

I contacted her - she knew nothing about that. Another call to my attorney to tell report back this information. It has now been almost a month since my last call to my attorney to find out the status of this and he hasn't returned my call.

What are my options here? Can I simply file contempt charges on my own? Is my attorney still my attorney of record or since this is "post-judgement", is he done with me? I wish he would just communicate with me. I'm not sure what I should be expecting, but after paying $10,000 for a fairly routine divorce and getting absoultely no information from him, I'd like to think that I could at least expect that he'd finish this or give me some advice so I could handle things on my own. Can you advise?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">