• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

property line dispute costs

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

keanyjoel

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Connecticut
Im in the process of disputing the property line with a neighbor. I've been in my home for 8 years and she in hers for 12. When I purchased my home there was a chain link fence separating our properties and this fence was deteriorating and hazardously hanging to my side of the yard. She told me her husband put the fence up when they purchased the home. 5 years ago I notified her and I took down the chain link fence and put up a 6 foot wood fence exactly where the old fence was. Now it seems that she did a survey on her property and apparently my fence is on her property. She is asking that I not only move my fence, but that I also pay for her survey. Do I, by law, have to pay her survey?

drewguy

No. She should have proposed to split the cost beforehand.

Tell her since you're going to go to the expense of moving the fence, she can bear the survey expense.

edmund_o

If you want your fence

Well, I use to work for a land surveyor. I have seen this before and whom ever hires the surveyor pays the surveyor, but if you want your fence you better move it. Otherwise the neighbor could see it as abandon and just take it down.

The way I see it, once you move the fence back the rightly location. All willbe well. You will ahve a good boundary for both you and your neighbor, and it will be correct acoordining to the survey plot.

Good luck.

keanyjoel

Results

Sorry the update took so long.

I had a professional move the fence but my neighbor was not satisfied and continued with the court case. She was suing me for not being able to use her driveway which she claims was causing her pain and suffering. She wanted the fence taken down, for me to pay the surveyor and money for her pain and suffering.
When we went to court the judge ruled in my favor simply because if the fence was an issue then why did it take her 2 years to say something. For 2 years while we were on speaking terms she was fine with the fence but as soon as we had a disagreement the fence was a problem.

quincy

Sorry the update took so long.

I had a professional move the fence but my neighbor was not satisfied and continued with the court case. She was suing me for not being able to use her driveway which she claims was causing her pain and suffering. She wanted the fence taken down, for me to pay the surveyor and money for her pain and suffering.
When we went to court the judge ruled in my favor simply because if the fence was an issue then why did it take her 2 years to say something. For 2 years while we were on speaking terms she was fine with the fence but as soon as we had a disagreement the fence was a problem.
It has been awhile since you posted your question :), but updates are always appreciated.

It is nice that all worked out in your favor. I hope your neighbor is not causing you any more grief.

Thank you for letting us know how the fence issue worked out for you.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">